• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neglegent Therapeutic Foster Care

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Blue

Is your son on an IEP

If there is an IEP in place, then it should cover travel costs for the parents for therapeutic reasons. I believe that it's more likely that the courts are involved in this in some way.
OP stated that her son can't be at home because he "offended" his 7 year old sister. I am assuming that OP wasn't referring to the little girls sensibilities. ;(

kakooi

Is your son on an IEP

If there is an IEP in place, then it should cover travel costs for the parents for therapeutic reasons. I believe that it's more likely that the courts are involved in this in some way.
He does have an IEP. I have not met with anyone from the high school yet. I am so inundated with issues in the home I haven't yet addressed my son's schooling. He is struggling a bit there, but that is mainly because he has not attended mainstream classes for several years. That will be the next step. I did not know that travel costs could be covered under an IEP. It would be great to attend his IEP meeting in person. Thank you

kakooi

Is your son on an IEP

The courts are not involved.

kakooi

There should be demonstrable harm to support a suit against the care giver - but if the foster family is not providing necessary medication, or is putting medicines where the child can improperly self-medicate, it is definitely worth reporting (filing a complaint).

It does seem that there is far more to the story. What has not been said can be important in determining what is the best route to take.
Thank you, and for sure there is more to the story than I can relate here. There is a whole lot going on.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
He does have an IEP. I have not met with anyone from the high school yet. I am so inundated with issues in the home I haven't yet addressed my son's schooling. He is struggling a bit there, but that is mainly because he has not attended mainstream classes for several years. That will be the next step. I did not know that travel costs could be covered under an IEP. It would be great to attend his IEP meeting in person. Thank you
Was he placed in the facility as a part of the IEP? It doesn't sound like it. The IEP might not, in your case, cover travel.

kakooi

Thank you everyone. I appreciate the discussion. I know nothing about legalities and it looks like I really need to start today by talking with the team. I am hoping we are all willing to compromise and come to some solution and create a safety plan. However, they are very protective of their foster parents and do not really seem like they want to discuss any problems. I have calmed down a bit from when I wrote my first few messages. It is a very emotional time. Thank you for all of the help!!

kakooi

Was he placed in the facility as a part of the IEP? It doesn't sound like it. The IEP might not, in your case, cover travel.
He was not placed in the facility due to an IEP, he was placed in the facility with an IEP. The IEP really only governs activities at his high school and does not seem to be related to his foster care placement in any way.

kakooi

Is he in a residential treatment center? What is his diagnosis?
He was in a residential treatment facility in Utah for one year. He received medication and good treatment. He learn many coping skills. He was then placed in this step down agency to be in therapeutic foster care so that we can pursue family therapy with the goal of reuniting the family. He has many labels: Schizophreniform (this is questionable because he has only had one reported psychotic episode besides the recent one that was likely due to med mismanagement), autism (high functioning asperger), mood disorder, ODD, anxiety disorder, impulse control disorder, math learning disability. I am probably forgetting some labels

Zigner

Frankly, it sounds as if the school should have been much more involved in this from an earlier time. You are lucky that the insurance covered these things...
You should push for the school district to cover travel costs for visits with your son, as they should have been doing all along.

HRZ

If the OP does not have custody of his child and son is in foster care then his travel as paid part of an IEP is not so clear cut.

Zigner

If the OP does not have custody of his child and son is in foster care then his travel as paid part of an IEP is not so clear cut.
Therapeutic Foster Care is different from the child being a ward of the state. I don't believe that the OP has lost custody.

ETA: Therapeutic Foster Care looks to be just the name for a lower level of treatment from a Residential Treatment Facility. Also, the fact that insurance has been paying for it also points to this not being an actual "foster care" placement.

Zigner

You need to get the doctor(s) that is/are treating your son to indicate that visits with you are an important part of the treatment of your child. The school/district should be paying for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">