• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Negligence by sheriff's dept

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? TN On 12/17/97 I filed a missing person report on my son who was 19 and had been missing in LA since early Nov. After I spent hundreds of dollars of phone bills calling everywhere, I was told to file the report locally, that my local authorities would enter the info into the NCIC, the national data base. After all this time, I realize now that the report was not taken seriously, was not entered into the NCIC files, and that there is no chance of ever recovering a body. They did give the info to the local newspaper without my consent, but did nothing more. This is blatant negligence. CAN I SUE THESE MORONS???? What sort of chance would I have going up against a sheriff's department?


Senior Member
First of all I realize it is hard but it seems you are assuming your son is dead. I am sure you have been asked "are you sure he didn't run away questions". What is sad is that it has been 5 years and any discrepencies should have been dealt with then. You can write to the LA attorney general and file a complaint here http://caag.state.ca.us/contact/index.htm

This maybe a long shot idea but have you ever talked to John Walsh from America's Most Wanted? My family did this when I had a cousin disappear and the show did wonders and got the state moving into an investigation...my cousin was never found but the family knows who killed her and that is peace enough.

http://www.johnwalsh.tv/html/meet.html go here and tell them your story, it can't hurt in the least bit.



Your reply was kind and helpful, unlike that from Bravo8. I have contacted the LA DA, as you suggested, and have previously contacted John Walsh with no results.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential