• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

negligent trustee?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KW

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ but trust is in CA

Just want your opinions. My sister is trustee of my father's living trust. My father's last wife got to live in our house until she passed, now the house belongs to my sisters and I. Father's last wife was a hoarder. We have no clue what the house looks like inside. My trustee sister, who lives about 45 minutes away from the house, has not been to look at the house yet. My father's wife passed Aug. 8. This appears to me negligent. Am I off base here?

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ but trust is in CA

Just want your opinions. My sister is trustee of my father's living trust. My father's last wife got to live in our house until she passed, now the house belongs to my sisters and I. Father's last wife was a hoarder. We have no clue what the house looks like inside. My trustee sister, who lives about 45 minutes away from the house, has not been to look at the house yet. My father's wife passed Aug. 8. This appears to me negligent. Am I off base here?
Yes, I think you are off base. Unless the trust specifies a timeframe, of course.

KW

No time frame in the Trust documents. This is why I asked this - what is a acceptable time frame?

TrustUser

i dont see a big sense of urgency.

the wife still gets to live there.

if she is a hoarder, she is a hoarder.

TrustUser

LOL - i should have read it correctly.

somehow i was thinking that the father had just passed.

in that case, the house should have been looked at it, way before now.

hoarding is the least of the your worries.

a vacant house is open to vandalism, etc.

being negligent is probably up to a ruling, but certainly doing a POOR JOB.

do any of the other siblings live close by ?

i am assuming that you have at least tried to reach out to the trustee-sister ?

Silverplum

LOL - i should have read it correctly.

somehow i was thinking that the father had just passed.

in that case, the house should have been looked at it, way before now.

hoarding is the least of the your worries.

a vacant house is open to vandalism, etc.

being negligent is probably up to a ruling, but certainly doing a POOR JOB.

do any of the other siblings live close by ?

i am assuming that you have at least tried to reach out to the trustee-sister ?
She has four months to complete an inventory of all the estate assets. August 8-today does not total four months.

http://www.alameda.courts.ca.gov/Pages.aspx/Administering-the-Estate?_ga=1.251570446.968010830.1410969581

TrustUser

Last edited by a moderator:

LdiJ

anteater

Of course, a fundamental question is: What does this mean?

... now the house belongs to my sisters and I.
Is the house currently part of the trust and are the OP and siblings beneficiaries of the trust? Or are the OP and siblings the current owners?

Last edited:

TrustUser

silverplum,

what is so hard to understand here ?

you have now had 2 people tell you that the job of a trustee is to take care of its assets.

not take care of them after x number of days.

let me repeat.

a vacant house for over a month can cause lots of issues, both with the house and the neighbors.

some assets dont have senses of urgency.

real estate does. just talk to people who own rentals, and property managers who manage them.

to the op,

if you are on speaking terms with this sister, i would simply tell her your concerns. since she is also a beneficiary, it is also in her best interest to deal with the house.

depending on what plans you guys have for the house, it needs to be cleaned out, stuff kept that the beneficiaries want, the rest sold or donated. and then a plan to either sell it or rent it.

and most likely hiring a real estate agent to sell, or a property manager to lease.

Silverplum

:rolleyes:

The law states what it states.

silverplum,

what is so hard to understand here ?

you have now had 2 people tell you that the job of a trustee is to take care of its assets.

not take care of them after x number of days.

let me repeat.

a vacant house for over a month can cause lots of issues, both with the house and the neighbors.

some assets dont have senses of urgency.

real estate does. just talk to people who own rentals, and property managers who manage them.

to the op,

if you are on speaking terms with this sister, i would simply tell her your concerns. since she is also a beneficiary, it is also in her best interest to deal with the house.

depending on what plans you guys have for the house, it needs to be cleaned out, stuff kept that the beneficiaries want, the rest sold or donated. and then a plan to either sell it or rent it.

and most likely hiring a real estate agent to sell, or a property manager to lease.

TrustUser

the law states what it states ?

do you understand trust law, and its very basics about the trustee managing and protecting the assets of the trust ?

and i am curious as to just what you were reading in the trust link that you provided that gave you the strange idea that the trustee can do otherwise ?

please post the exact sentences. and then we may see just how good of a lawyer you would make - i.e. how well you interpret the law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">