• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

negotiate with creditor on judgement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dotcom

New York State
I posted before but didn't get a reply. Recently a hold was put on our joint checking account for a judgement against my roommate for an 11 year old debt
I am disabled and receiving SSI (we have joint account) I cant get to my money to pay my bills and there are outstanding checks. Is there any way to negotiate with this firm for repayment and get the hold off our account and keep them from attempting to garnish my roommates wages?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

dotcom said:
New York State
I posted before but didn't get a reply. Recently a hold was put on our joint checking account for a judgement against my roommate for an 11 year old debt
I am disabled and receiving SSI (we have joint account) I cant get to my money to pay my bills and there are outstanding checks. Is there any way to negotiate with this firm for repayment and get the hold off our account and keep them from attempting to garnish my roommates wages?
My response:

Normally, Government funds, such as SSI money, is untouchable in an "attachment" situation. However, and it's really more complicated than this, but you made the mistake of "commingling" your SSI money with another person's money, making the ENTIRE account subject to attachment.

My best suggestion to you would be to open a separate account for your SSI money, starting with your next check.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">