• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor Claims his home inspection will affect the sell of my house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Q. Maximus

Minnesota

A renter next door who has to have the city inspection annually wants to talk to me about issues with that property he says will affect the sell of my home. I plan to list my house in July.

What could possibly be wrong with his property that would impact selling my house? He wouldn’t tell me via messaging and wants to talk face to face. I avoid this neighbor after having to call the police four years ago when his wife came to me after obviously being beat up.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
What could possibly be wrong with his property that would impact selling my house?
No one here is going to know that since it would take knowing the facts of both properties. The only way you'll find out is talking to the neighbor. If you want to talk to him but are uncomfortable meeting him alone then have someone else there with you.

justalayman

Yes, the house next door can affect the value of your house. While not2cleverred’s suggestion is in jest, if true, that could affect the value of your home.

When in school to become a real estate agent myself, there was a saying of what determines the value of a property: location, location, location

That wasn’t repeated just to enforce the term itself but was a reference to issues such as

Location within within a given area as well as what specific street it was located on and even further, what side of the street it was located on. The surroundings of a property can make it extremely valuable or just the same, make it nearly worthless.

If you have property next to the the nicest house in a given town, it’s worth a lot. If you have property next to a sewage treatment plant, not quite so valuable.

So yes, there are a lot of issues with the neighbors house that can devalue your property. Heck, he can probably do a pretty good job of defeating your attempts to sell your house himself by mooning every prospective buyer when they view the property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">