• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor Flooded our basement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jean Babiak

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

We had a lot of snow and rain for 2 straight days back in February of this year. Our neighbor's basement was flooded, so he decided to run a sub pump. He connected his hose to the sub pump and placed the hose directly facing our property and even dug a trrench to our property line so the water would follow the trench to our property. This flooded out basement. We have severe damage. Appox. $9,000.00 worth. Our neighbor was cited by the township for illegally dumping water onto our property. Do you know of any statutes or case law that pertain to this????

Please advise. Thank You!

HomeGuru

Jean Babiak said:
What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

We had a lot of snow and rain for 2 straight days back in February of this year. Our neighbor's basement was flooded, so he decided to run a sub pump. He connected his hose to the sub pump and placed the hose directly facing our property and even dug a trrench to our property line so the water would follow the trench to our property. This flooded out basement. We have severe damage. Appox. $9,000.00 worth. Our neighbor was cited by the township for illegally dumping water onto our property. Do you know of any statutes or case law that pertain to this????

Please advise. Thank You!
**A: file a claim with your insurance company. Building code, statutes and case law support your claim. By the way, the pump you are referring to is called a sump pump. A sub pump is found on submarines.

J

Jean Babiak

Reply to Home Guru

Thanks for the sub pump/sump pump thing. But you didn't answer my question. Do you know of any particulary statutes or case law? I want citations.
We made a claim with our insurance company. They denied it stating thay is was a "water" catastrophy." We made a claim aginst our neighbor's insurance company and they denied it stating it was mother nature that caseud our damage, not their insured! Please provided me with citations pertaining to this. Thanks again.

HomeGuru

Re: Reply to Home Guru

Jean Babiak said:
Thanks for the sub pump/sump pump thing. But you didn't answer my question. Do you know of any particulary statutes or case law? I want citations.
We made a claim with our insurance company. They denied it stating thay is was a "water" catastrophy." We made a claim aginst our neighbor's insurance company and they denied it stating it was mother nature that caseud our damage, not their insured! Please provided me with citations pertaining to this. Thanks again.
**A: please understand that this is a free advice website and not a free legal research website. Sorry, but I do not have time to do specifc citation research for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">