• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor has been building add on's

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cls22671

My neghbor has been building add on to the back of the house his add on roof is approximately 3 foot from the side of my house. his answer to me for this as well as a tree he planted right on the line is that I do not own the air. I have not seen any permits posted and some of the other work he has done has caused severe run off eroding my front yard. I do not have any money to stop this or to get an attorney. I do not know or understand my rights. I am in Douglas county nebraska. How far is his new addition suppose to be from my house?

adjusterjack

He's right. You don't own the air. However, whether he can build an addition 3' from your house depends on your local zoning and building codes. I suggest you take photos and measurements of what he's doing and visit your local building and zoning departments to review his plans and permits and make sure everything's proper.

https://www.countyoffice.org/ne-douglas-county-building-departments/

If he has complied with the requirements, there won't be anything you can do to stop it.

quincy

My neghbor has been building add on to the back of the house his add on roof is approximately 3 foot from the side of my house. his answer to me for this as well as a tree he planted right on the line is that I do not own the air. I have not seen any permits posted and some of the other work he has done has caused severe run off eroding my front yard. I do not have any money to stop this or to get an attorney. I do not know or understand my rights. I am in Douglas county nebraska. How far is his new addition suppose to be from my house?
If your neighbor’s construction has altered the natural flow of water in a way that affects your property, you could have legal recourse.

But I would take the steps suggested by adjusterjack first before consulting a real estate lawyer about available options.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">