• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor Obstructing Driveway Easement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dat84

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

So I posted the following three years ago, but the situation has started up again with some new developments (below)

From 2017:
I have lived at my house for four years. The house that I currently own and the neighbor's house used to be all one property and was subdivided when my current house was put up for sale.

When I purchased my house, I was granted easement rights for the portion of the driveway that lies over my neighbor's property. The portion of the driveway in the easement is about 10' wide x 100' long, and it narrows as it nears the exit of the driveway. The driveway stops at my one-car detached garage.

Recently, new neighbors purchased the neighbor's house, and we have been having disagreements over my easement rights. She has gone so far as to place cinder blocks down the property line (in the middle of my driveway). A letter from an attorney got those moved a week later, but now she has decided she wants to use the portion of my driveway on the easement for parking her vehicles. This only began after our recent dispute. She also threatened to start parking her school bus on that section as well, which would cause increased wear and tear on the asphalt driveway which I am responsible for maintaining.

My deed states "Together with the right to use a portion of a driveway as it exists on other property of Grantor adjacent to the property herein described. Grantee shall be solely responsible for maintenance of the driveway." There is no other elaboration to the easement such as measurements, bearings, etc.

This differs from what the survey in the subdivision deed calls out. The easement is called out as "PROPOSED easement for ingrees, egress, regress and driveway maintenance"

Which would hold precedence, my deed or the survey from the subdivision? Does the inclusion of the word "Proposed" in the survey give more leverage to my property deed?

With the old neighbor, we used the easement for a variety of uses, such as parking, placement of a Bagster for a few weeks, a place to unload stone, mulch, etc. She never once complained about us using it for almost four years. The new neighbor insists it is only for ingress, egress, and regress and she can park on it with her personal vehicles and school bus if she pleases.

The attorney I consulted said the deed language would likely control, and that if my neighbor inhibits my use of the driveway, to politely ask her to stop. Normally, this would be my solution, but these are not reasonable people. She has turned this into a full time game the past few days. Any time we are coming and going in the driveway, there she is, staring at us. For the past few months she has done what she can to make us feel uncomfortable being in our own backyard. We feel she is trying to push us out and to sell the house for various reasons that I will not get into here.

What is my next course of action?

So, on to 2020. . . .

The neighbors have been parking on the easement (their property, my easement) with random vehicles EVERY SINGLE DAY since August 1st 2019. Cars, trucks, cargo vans, work vehicles, school buses, lawn mowers, you name it. There is no "need" to do this, as they have their own driveway which is three times the size of ours (including the easement). Needless to say, it's being done out of spite. She made a verbal agreement with my original attorney (in 2017) to allow us to continue using the easement as we had been doing (before they moved in in 2017). Obviously, a verbal agreement holds no water, and when I contacted that attorney, she ignored my calls and emails, and eventually stuck her secretary on the phone who suggested I contact a different attorney.

I built a 27' long wall from the face of my garage down the property line (towards the street) to block the view from our property to their swimming pool (when things cooled down originally we tried talking to them about planting trees to block the view, and give us a little privacy from them while they are groping each other in their pool, but they didn't agree to it, so a wall is what they got). So effectively, a portion of the easement (lengthwise) and about 2 feet or so of my property is on "their" side of my wall. I still have enough access to drive a vehicle behind the wall on the easement on their side (of course when they aren't parked on it).

So my real question is, does she have any leverage to park on it, whether it is behind my wall or not? She is now also parking at the front of the wall (nearest the street) with her school van, literally an inch away from the property line. We both have smaller vehicles, but this still makes it difficult for us some of the time depending if we are parking to the side of the garage and how we have to angle the vehicles. If she is not technically "obstructing" our access, does she have any right to park on the easement? I called the owner of the van and informed them of my right to have it removed, and they said they would take care of it, but there it still sits, over a week later (she also called the state police who came out, while I was at work, and said I was "harassing" her by calling her employer. As I said, I called the owner of the vehicle. She also has a personal vehicle parked behind the van (on their side of the wall).

Also to note, I have a garage maintenance easement that extends 3.5' onto their property (recorded on the survey). My access is now blocked to this because of them parking on the easement. I can squeeze through walking, (mirrors on the vehicles almost touch my wall) but it would be impossible to get equipment or anything back there to do any "maintenance".

Once again, the deed language (as seen in the original post) is vague. There is no technical "easement agreement", only my deed language, and the survey which was recorded with the original owner's deed when she had the lot subdivided, forming my and my neighbor's current lots. There are limits and dimensions of the easement shown in that survey which are called out as "Proposed".

I hired an different attorney who sent them a letter informing them that no portion of the easement cannot be obstructed, and that I have the right to tow anything blocking the easement. I also put up a "No Parking, Vehicle Will Be Towed At Owner's Expense" sign, as well as a "DO NOT BLOCK DRIVEWAY OR GARAGE EASEMENT" sign.

It has been over a week since they got the letter and I put up the signs. My attorney has assured me I have the right to tow. Just wanted to get other opinions on here. We talked to these peoples' previous neighbors, and she is the type of person who looks for opportunities for lawsuits. She sued her previous neighbor cause she eventually managed to get a reaction out of him. So do I call the tow truck, or am I being suckered in for a potential lawsuit for cost/damages to vehicles when I have them towed away?

dat84

Yep, it's very similar. Except, it's been almost three years and the whole "getting along with each other" at the end of that story still hasn't happened yet.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There is no way any of us is in any position to second-guess your attorney.

adjusterjack

It has been over a week since they got the letter and I put up the signs. My attorney has assured me I have the right to tow. Just wanted to get other opinions on here. We talked to these peoples' previous neighbors, and she is the type of person who looks for opportunities for lawsuits. She sued her previous neighbor cause she eventually managed to get a reaction out of him. So do I call the tow truck, or am I being suckered in for a potential lawsuit for cost/damages to vehicles when I have them towed away?
If you're afraid of getting sued then she has you by the short hairs and can do whatever she wants with impunity, knowing that you are weak and helpless.

If you decide that you are not afraid of a lawsuit and are willing to go scorched earth with her then call the tow truck and show her you mean business.

Up to you.

dat84

OK. Thanks all for the responses. Sorry if my post was rambling.

Basically, I was looking for opinions on if she is not "technically" blocking ingress/egress (as I said, we both have smaller cars and can squeeze through at the moment), would that give her any right to park on it?

bcr229

My understanding of ingress/egress easements is that no, your neighbor does not have the right to park on any part of it. Sure, your little car could squeak by, but could an ambulance or fire truck?

dat84

My county is unfortunately not listed on that site.

The previous owner's subdivision deed (our properties were all one before I bought my house) has the subdivision survey (shows distances of and calls out the "proposed" easements) included as part of the deed. That's it.

My deed (recorded after the original subdivision) simply states as I mentioned above, very vaguely, that I have the right to use a portion of the driveway the extends on their property.

LdiJ

My county is unfortunately not listed on that site.

The previous owner's subdivision deed (our properties were all one before I bought my house) has the subdivision survey (shows distances of and calls out the "proposed" easements) included as part of the deed. That's it.

My deed (recorded after the original subdivision) simply states as I mentioned above, very vaguely, that I have the right to use a portion of the driveway the extends on their property.
If you needed to do so, could you construct your own driveway, on your own property, or are you landlocked?

dat84

I am not landlocked, the easement simply provides additional width for the 100 foot length, where it stops at my detached garage. With her obstructing the width, we have had to drive with two wheels off the pavement in the grass. Yes, I could widen the part on my side, into my grass, but that is beside the point. Why should I have to spend money to widen the driveway, when I have the easement rights? It's easy enough to let it go and put a fence down the property line (middle of the driveway), but I'm not very fond of the constant coming and going, car doors slamming, horns beeping 20 feet from my house when they have a giant driveway of their own, three times the size of mine, that sits (literally) vacant.

Last edited:

LdiJ

I am not landlocked, the easement simply provides additional width for the 100 foot length, where it stops at my detached garage. With her obstructing the width, we have had to drive with two wheels off the pavement in the grass. Yes, I could widen the part on my side, into my grass, but that is beside the point. Why should I have to spend money to widen the driveway, when I have the easement rights? It's easy enough to let it go and put a fence down the property line (middle of the driveway), but I'm not very fond of the constant coming and going, car doors slamming, horns beeping 20 feet from my house when they have a giant driveway of their own, three times the size of mine, that sits (literally) vacant.
So they have another driveway that they are not using? Does it go to their garage? If so, why are they using the one that goes to your garage? Are they doing it just to be difficult, or is there an actual reason?

I was actually looking ahead to the future a bit when I asked that question. Some day you might want to sell the house, and with the trouble you are having with the neighbor it might make your house difficult to sell. You can either resolve the problem with them legally, by taking them to court, or you can resolve the problem, by creating your own driveway that they cannot use.

If they have the same easement that you do, the right to use the shared driveway, you might not be able to put a fence down the middle, even if you widen it.

dat84

Yes, they have their own driveway that goes to their own 3 car garage. They use it, but what they cannot fit in their garage, they park on my easement. Vehicles have been parked on the easement for months without moving an inch. Also when they have visitors, they instruct them to park on the easement (could be a few hours to a few weeks). Last summer for example they had 5 cars and a lawn mower squeezed on the easement when they had a party. For whatever reason, they consider it out of the question to park THEIR stuff on THEIR own driveway. They do this only to annoy us. They know all we want is some privacy and to be left alone, but their game ever since they moved in was to aggravate us. I have plenty of stories.

Also, it is not a shared driveway, and they have no easement whatsoever onto my property. I am the only party with the easement.

LdiJ

Yes, they have their own driveway that goes to their own 3 car garage. They use it, but what they cannot fit in their garage, they park on my easement. Vehicles have been parked on the easement for months without moving an inch. Also when they have visitors, they instruct them to park on the easement (could be a few hours to a few weeks). Last summer for example they had 5 cars and a lawn mower squeezed on the easement when they had a party. For whatever reason, they consider it out of the question to park THEIR stuff on THEIR own driveway. They do this only to annoy us. They know all we want is some privacy and to be left alone, but their game ever since they moved in was to aggravate us. I have plenty of stories.

Also, it is not a shared driveway, and they have no easement whatsoever onto my property. I am the only party with the easement.
Then honestly, I would widen the driveway and put a fence on the property line.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">