• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor replaced our fence and sent bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slyn

What is the name of your state?Texas
Our neighbor asked us if we would be willing to share the cost to replace our fence. While our fence was not new it was not damaged or falling over etc. They got bids and hired a company to replace it without ever giving us the estimates. We were not given the opportunity to see the estimates and did not ever agree to a cost. In fact they notified us that the fence was being replaced at 6:30 am just before we were leaving for work. They are now threatening to sue us for $1000.00 which they say is 1/2 the cost. Are we bound by law to pay them? Is this a verbal contract? Had we known that 213 pickets would cost 2050.00 we would have replaced the fence ourselves.

Thanks

Warped

I'm not a lawyer!

In your situation I would write the neighbor a thank you note for replacing the fence and then let them sue. I'm far from an expert but I'd be willing to bet that you'd win. :D

JETX

BelizeBreeze said:
Is the fence on your property or is it a shared fence?
Doesn't matter.

Many states have boundary fence laws requiring adjoining landowners to share maintenance responsibilities. However, Texas is not one of them.

There's a good reason for boundary fence laws. Because neighbors on each side of a fence benefit from having it, both should be required to pay for its upkeep and installation costs.

But in Texas, unless you live in a subdivision with deed restrictions or unless you happen to live in a city that has enacted an ordinance, there simply is no law dealing with the maintenance and installation of fences.

nextwife

And who's to say the poster would have even put another fence up at all, instead of simply taking it down? In my neighborhood, for example, maybe 10%, maximum, fence in their yards. In cases in which an existing fence rots out, many simply pull the fence.

jmbss4x4

good neighbor rule of thumb

CA> your best bet would be to pay the money, if you can afford it. However, I'm not sure you had a binding contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">