• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor wants me to trim my trees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sokols

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ca
I have a neighbor where my tree branches hang over his property. I have told him that if he wants to, he can trim off the branches, He wants me to do it or pay to have it done. Do I need to incurr the expense and trim the branches on his property. They same neighbor has a broken down picket fence that I have asked him to replace as it's on his property and his fence, I am willing to pay half or more than half. He ignores the request. Is there anything I can do or at least do I have the right to remove the picket fence and put up a solid vinyl fence 5 ft.?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

NC Aggie

No, you don't have to pay for or trim the branches. As you suggested, your neighbor has the right to trim the branches that encroach onto his property.

csi7

You can put up the fence inside the property line on your side or on the property line if the current fence is on the shared property line.
Your neighbor has to trim the branches that are on his property and also take care of the branches, and not dump them back onto your property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">