• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighborhood Restrictions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lgpatterson

What is the name of your state? Alabama
I recently purchased a house in what I found later to be a restricted neighborhood. I was not told until after closing that it was a restricted neighborhood and did not see any arkings to suggest that it was this type. Only after we closed and inquired about a mailbox being put up were we told that it was restricted and then had to call the closing attorney's office for a copy of the restrictions. The mailbox has to be placed on the opposite side of the road from the house, on land which is technically not in the neighborhood, and once it is erected becomes federal property, how can they make me use a mailbox of a certain type they must approve? Does this and all restrictions on these neighborhoods violate my God given and US Constituional rights to Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness? I think this telling people what they can do with their property by the developers of the neighborhood should be done when the house is sold and shoudl be left to the neighbors and the mortgage company as to what can be added or done. For all practical purposes the developers are through with the house at that point and only interested in selling another. i submit that their needs would still be met with having the neighbors and mortgage company having the approval of any changes. This sham of a restriction on me is for 25 years and then a rolling 10 years after that. If I make someone on this committee mad one day I could theoretically never be able to do anything such as install a nice in-ground pool or anything else that I might want. Does this at all seem like Life Liberty and the pursuit of happiness to anyone out there?

Thanks for letting me rant.

PghREA

lgpatterson said:
What is the name of your state? Alabama
I recently purchased a house in what I found later to be a restricted neighborhood. I was not told until after closing that it was a restricted neighborhood and did not see any arkings to suggest that it was this type. Only after we closed and inquired about a mailbox being put up were we told that it was restricted and then had to call the closing attorney's office for a copy of the restrictions. The mailbox has to be placed on the opposite side of the road from the house, on land which is technically not in the neighborhood, and once it is erected becomes federal property, how can they make me use a mailbox of a certain type they must approve? Does this and all restrictions on these neighborhoods violate my God given and US Constituional rights to Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness? I think this telling people what they can do with their property by the developers of the neighborhood should be done when the house is sold and shoudl be left to the neighbors and the mortgage company as to what can be added or done. For all practical purposes the developers are through with the house at that point and only interested in selling another. i submit that their needs would still be met with having the neighbors and mortgage company having the approval of any changes. This sham of a restriction on me is for 25 years and then a rolling 10 years after that. If I make someone on this committee mad one day I could theoretically never be able to do anything such as install a nice in-ground pool or anything else that I might want. Does this at all seem like Life Liberty and the pursuit of happiness to anyone out there?

Thanks for letting me rant.
Actually, a copy of the "rules and regulations" for your neighborhood should have been available for your review prior to the signing of the sales agreement.

In regards to the mailbox issue - the US Postal Service regulates that.
The following is from their manual.

2.0 Curbside Mailboxes
2.1Manufacturer Specifications

Manufacturers of all mailboxes designed and made to be erected at the edge of a roadway or curbside of a street and to be served by a carrier from a vehicle on any city route, rural route, or highway contract route must obtain approval of their products under USPS Standard 7, Mailboxes, City and Rural Curbside. To receive these construction standards and drawings or other information about the manufacture of curbside mailboxes, write to USPS Engineering (see G043 for address).

2.2Custom-Built
Mailbox

The local postmaster may approve a curbside mailbox constructed by a customer who, for aesthetic or other reasons, does not want to use an approved manufactured box. The custom-built box must generally meet the same standards as approved manufactured boxes for flag, size, strength, and quality of construction.

2.3Address Identification

Every curbside mailbox must bear the following address information:

a. A box number, if used, inscribed in contrasting color in neat letters and numerals at least 1 inch high on the side of the box visible to the carrier’s regular approach, or on the door if boxes are grouped.

b. A house number if street names and house numbers have been assigned by local authorities, and the postmaster authorizes their use as a postal address. If the box is on a different street from the customer’s residence, the street name and house number must be inscribed on the box.

2.4Owner’s Name

The mailbox may bear the owner’s name.

2.5Advertising

Any advertising on a mailbox or its support is prohibited.

2.6Mailbox Post

The post or other support for a curbside mailbox must be neat and of adequate strength and size. The post may not represent effigies or caricatures that tend to disparage or ridicule any person. The box may be attached to a fixed or movable arm.

2.7Location

Subject to state laws and regulations, a curbside mailbox must be placed to allow safe and convenient delivery by carriers without leaving their vehicles. The box must be on the right-hand side of the road in the direction of travel of the carriers on any new rural route or highway contract route, in all cases where traffic conditions are dangerous for the carriers to drive to the left to reach the box, or where their doing so would violate traffic laws and regulations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">