• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbors children

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CarJam

What is the name of your state? PA

I moved into my home (which I rent) approx. 6 months ago. The neighbors children knew my daughters from school. Almost immediately they became frequent visitors in my home. These children, ages 8,10 & 12, ran rampant through my house. After only a week they were literally running through my house and out my kitchen door when they slammed the door behind them pinching my 6 pound dog in the door killing him.

I then contacted the mother by phone and spoke face to face with the father only to get the "not my child" attitude from both of them. I haven't let the children in my home since but that was only the beginning of my problems.

The oldest son would use our deck and patio as a shortcut to friends houses or the bus stop or even just as a play place. He would walk passed the windows and peer inside and wave at us, even the bathroom window. After repeated attempts of asking the child to stop we had the landlord talk to the parents about keeping the child off the property. He listened for a short time but proceeded to make snide remarks and actions towards us. All three of them have started standing at the very edge of their property and reaching over with sticks to tease my new dog while he is on his leash. If I ask them to stop I'm told "I'm on my property." I'm fearful if they come over when I'm not out the dog will bite them since he is continually antagonized by these kids.

The lastest thing was when we walked outside and caught the oldest coming around the corner off of our deck onto the patio taking a shortcut. He was asked to go home. We soon after went away and left my 16 yr. old daughter home alone. She went outside a short time later to find the two boys and a friend sitting on our patio, when she asked them to leave they proceeded to torment her with a dead snake. She then told me that they have been harrassing her and calling her names at the bus stop and have even been shouting things to her while she cheers (as a cheerleader) at her high school football games.

I'm finding that the attitudes of the parents are the same as the children. I would love for these kids to learn a lesson, learn some manners, respect our privacy and stop the harrassing. I'd like to know what my rights are and how to go about enforcing them.

Bravo8

Ever consider involving the local police? Or the State Police if you have no local PD?

As a police officer, I would be hesitant to charge the children with trespass, but essentially they are committing a Misdemeanor offense of Defiant Trespass, as well as Harrasment (which is a summary offense).

Based upon your account, I believe you have been more than patient, and attempted to resolve the issue amicably. If they continue their inappropriate actions, you may have some civil recourse, but not being an attorney, I honestly am not sure. Perhaps a short consultation with a lawyer would be in order as well.

C

CarJam

Thank you for your response. I have considered the police, I've just been hesitant to have to go that route. It's such a shame that some parents can't handle these sort of situations. As a child, I feared my parents more than any law enforcement. Obviously, that's not the case here.

I'm considering contacting the school first. Since some of the incidents are occurring on school property and at the bus stop I'm thinking they may be able to help before I involve the police.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">