• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors Dogs charging us aggressively

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gmatracy61

Hi I live in California. We just bought a
New home in a rural area in Northern ,Ca.
We have lived here for 8 months now. We are retired and moved to enjoy the last years of our lives. We want to just enjoy our new home and the 2 acres it sits on.
Well since about the 1st month of living here. We have been living in fear of the neighbors 3 dogs. They have made our life a living hell. They come on our property and come charging at us very aggressively. It is terrifying. We have called animal control on 6 or more occasions. We are constant alert for the dogs. They come out of nowhere it seems. The owner of the dogs just pay the fines and continue to let the dogs out to roam and terrorize us. How is this right? I new when we moved here we needed to keep a watch for bears and mt. Lions. But not dogs! The other day my husband was being Charged by all three at the same time. Like a wild pack! They were inches from biting him. He ended up having to shoot at them. One of them was hit. We called the police. They came out and did nothing. That was the only thing that stopped them. We both were in fear for our life. Does one of us have to get torn to pieces before someone helps us with this problem. We can’t continue living like this. What can we do to end this nightmare? (besides move.)

CdwJava

Laws and policies regarding unleashed and aggressive dogs varies to some degree by jurisdiction. Most animal control regulations are local and government by county or municipal codes. You might consider making a nuisance of yourselves to the administration at the Animal Control agency. About all you can do is call whenever there is an issue, and take whatever reasonable steps you must in order to protect yourselves.

Have you looked into any form of civil court action against these neighbors? Perhaps a Civil Harassment Order, or some other court action? There may be the possibility of a civil suit, but, that may be a tougher sell in Small Claims Court.

Just Blue

As much as I hate the idea of shooting the dogs, I have to agree that it might be the only solution in self defense.

Too bad you can't shoot the owner. He's the problem. :unsure:
I was thinking the same thing. If Animal Control took the dogs away from the negligent owner, they MIGHT be able to retrain the dogs and re-home them (separately)...but as AC seem to be sitting on their hands and doing jack squat, OP may have no choice but to shoot the dogs.

FarmerJ

do your self a favor and look into outdoor wireless cameras so if you are able to record your property then then you would be able to show law enforcement or a court the neighbors dogs regularly entering your property and if one of those dogs became threatening again you would have video proof especially if you end up being forced to shoot one of those dogs again.

CdwJava

Having been attacked and witnessed the attack of dogs before, I can tell you that I have found both "mace" and OC spray to be largely ineffective against determined dogs. You have to hit the attacking beast just right, and they lack the brows and sweat that help to deliver the residue into the eyes. I once had two pits trying to chew the shovel of a woman whose yard they entered turn to attack me and completely ignored both OC and my baton. Ultimately, I was forced to shoot both of them as they tried to attack me as I was trying to drag the woman to safety. 5 shots, 5 hits. The shooting team was impressed. The owner of the dogs had the audacity to state that the dogs were probably just trying to "play" with the woman.

Just Blue

Having been attacked and witnessed the attack of dogs before, I can tell you that I have found both "mace" and OC spray to be largely ineffective against determined dogs. You have to hit the attacking beast just right, and they lack the brows and sweat that help to deliver the residue into the eyes. I once had two pits trying to chew the shovel of a woman whose yard they entered turn to attack me and completely ignored both OC and my baton. Ultimately, I was forced to shoot both of them as they tried to attack me as I was trying to drag the woman to safety. 5 shots, 5 hits. The shooting team was impressed. The owner of the dogs had the audacity to state that the dogs were probably just trying to "play" with the woman.
Stupid owner should be banned from ever owning a dog/cat/goldfish/bird/snake/bat/gerbil/ etc...

Why is it so often pitbulls? (rhetorical question);)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">