• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors don't clean up dog poops on my lawn

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FarmerJ

Zigner city inspections departments do not need to know who created a condition, they can still send a notice to a landlord ordering a correction and in the case of a multi unit rental they can indeed go after the owner to get compliance when it comes to ANY ordinance that is violated the same way they might with a single family home that is rented EG a city has a ordinance that grass be no longer than 8 inches tenant has a SFH and cant or wont mow the yard so Grass height violates a city ordinance. Who does the city notify first ? its the owner of record and if the owner doesn't take care of it they will fine and can arrange for it to be done by city crews at a spendy rate. Same way with side walks that are not shoveled in the winter. Many cities have done just that for years and years.

quincy

Zigner city inspections departments do not need to know who created a condition, they can still send a notice to a landlord ordering a correction and in the case of a multi unit rental they can indeed go after the owner to get compliance when it comes to ANY ordinance that is violated the same way they might with a single family home that is rented EG a city has a ordinance that grass be no longer than 8 inches tenant has a SFH and cant or wont mow the yard so Grass height violates a city ordinance. Who does the city notify first ? its the owner of record and if the owner doesn't take care of it they will fine and can arrange for it to be done by city crews at a spendy rate. Same way with side walks that are not shoveled in the winter. Many cities have done just that for years and years.
The problem is that the dog owners do not necessarily reside in the apartments owned by the landlord. The landlord cannot be fined just because an unknown someone living somewhere does not clean up after their dog.

Just Blue

That is why a security camera (not that expensive...you can get on for about $80.00 or less) would be handy...you can find out who the ignorant jerk is.

debodun

The other day when mowing, I hit a pile hidden in the grass - PHEW!

This is an absentee LL situation, but he does stop by frequently since he owns a business and his storage building is on that property. I did see him out there last week and pointed out the doggie doodles to him. He just smiled and walked away. This morning there was a huge pile right by my spirea bush. I got the garden trowel and flung it back on his property. Apparently he is not going to do anything.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

This is an absentee LL situation, but he does stop by frequently since he owns a business and his storage building is on that property. I did see him out there last week and pointed out the doggie doodles to him. He just smiled and walked away. This morning there was a huge pile right by my spirea bush. I got the garden trowel and flung it back on his property. Apparently he is not going to do anything.
Once again...the LL doesn't have to do anything.
How's that camera installation coming along?

Just Blue

Get a 3 foot gardening fence to place along your property line...I saw some pretty ones on line for under $70.00.

xylene

The problem is that the dog owners do not necessarily reside in the apartments owned by the landlord. The landlord cannot be fined just because an unknown someone living somewhere does not clean up after their dog.
A landlord can be fined for not cleaning up poop on his property, even if they or their tenants did not deposit the poop there, much as a landlord or properrty can be held responsible for all sorts of legal dumping and other unmitigated hazardous or nuisance conditions on their property.

quincy

A landlord can be fined for not cleaning up poop on his property, even if they or their tenants did not deposit the poop there, much as a landlord or properrty can be held responsible for all sorts of legal dumping and other unmitigated hazardous or nuisance conditions on their property.
The poop is not on the landlord’s property. That is the problem.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That would explain how the OP could be fined...but that's not the question here.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

Can you prove it was a tenant doing this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">