• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors Flashing High Beams Into our home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Betacam

What is the name of your state? Florida

Okay so we have "one of those neighbors" across the street from our home.

Over the past year they've at random times at night flashed their high beams from their car into our home. Sometimes for 10 minutes up to four hours! Usually between 11-4am. Their home is up on a hill and ours is lower, so the lights shine through our windows illuminating our entire home.

Searching online we've found that it seems light is a super grey area. However, with how long they've been doing it, the random times, and that it's the high beams, is there anything we can do? Would the police do anything?

Unfortunately there is no talking with them. Long story short, the female at the house has backed into multiple cars of friends and family and somehow it's everyone else's fault but hers and she's yelled at us and the people she's backed into.

Please help us find a solution!

Thanks in advance.

quincy

What is the name of your state? Florida

Okay so we have "one of those neighbors" across the street from our home.

Over the past year they've at random times at night flashed their high beams from their car into our home. Sometimes for 10 minutes up to four hours! Usually between 11-4am. Their home is up on a hill and ours is lower, so the lights shine through our windows illuminating our entire home.

Searching online we've found that it seems light is a super grey area. However, with how long they've been doing it, the random times, and that it's the high beams, is there anything we can do? Would the police do anything?

Unfortunately there is no talking with them. Long story short, the female at the house has backed into multiple cars of friends and family and somehow it's everyone else's fault but hers and she's yelled at us and the people she's backed into.

Please help us find a solution!

Thanks in advance.
If you cannot communicate in person, write a letter. Explain how the light-flashing is affecting you. Let them know you would really appreciate it if they would stop.

Your letter should have a friendly tone.

If that doesn't work, buy "blackout" curtains - and pray they put their house up for sale.

Good luck.

adjusterjack

Install those one way mirrors where you can see out but from the outside their headlights will be reflected right back at them.

quincy

The suggestions are appreciated, thank you.
You're welcome, Betacam. I appreciate the thanks. I hope the simple suggestion of a letter works to stop your neighbors from flashing their car lights into your home.

Following is a link to a 2016 article from FreeAdvice about light pollution and one city's suit against a Florida couple over "public nuisance" Christmas lights. It speaks of both public and private light nuisances.

I like to think of lawsuits for disputes between neighbors as a last resort when all friendlier attempts to resolve the disputes fail. I certainly hope you can find a solution that does not involve attorneys and courts.

https://www.freeadvice.com/news/Litigation/are-your-christmas-lights-a-public-nuisance.htm

Good luck.

Last edited:

FarmerJ

As a last resort had you ever considered creating some very nice wooden shutters for the inside of the house the room side would be nicely finished wood and the side that faces outside mirror -mirror tile,

HRZ

Reads like she has at least one screw looose .... you may need to reaseach a plan B that is legal if the polite plan A does not work.....

quincy

Reads like she has at least one screw looose .... you may need to reaseach a plan B that is legal if the polite plan A does not work.....
There could be a reason for the neighbor's light-flashing that has nothing to do with purposely irritating Betacam. It would be interesting to learn what the reason is.

Reactions: RJR

LdiJ

Right. The neighbors only wanted to annoy Betacam with low-beams ... but they had no choice. :)
Since the beginning of this thread I have been wondering if the neighbors were using the high beams as a light source for something they were doing outside. Who is going to use up gas and risking burning out headlights to leave them on for up to four hours unless it served an actual purpose?

quincy

Since the beginning of this thread I have been wondering if the neighbors were using the high beams as a light source for something they were doing outside. Who is going to use up gas and risking burning out headlights to leave them on for up to four hours unless it served an actual purpose?
I agree that the lights are probably being used for some purpose unrelated to Betacam. Betacam's house is just located in an unfortunate place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">