• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbors watering flooding home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

waterbug

Hello,

I live in the San Bernardino County, California. I moved into my house nine years ago and have had a problem with my neighbor. My neighbors watering causes flooding in my yard, the problem is so severe we are unable to walk on that side of the house, on several occasions I have approached my neighbor to complain about this problem, her excuse is that her house is higher than mine and the water has no way of being drained so it just comes to my side. In order to have peace I have ignored this problem but recently I have had it. I would like to know if there is any legal action I can take to have this problem solved.

HomeGuru

Document each and every time of the flooding. Take photos and video. Send her certified rrr letters to stop watering or mitigate the problem by constructing a swale, drainage system and or retaining wall. Call the Building inspector to inspect and follow up in writing. The code does not allow a landowner to drain water onto a neighbors property.
Your last resort would be to take the evidence and go to Court.

Last edited:
one more thing, call city hall and find out if there is a city ordinance about watering. like restricting time of day, length of time or amount of water (i know some ccommunitie say if the ground is spongy ther is too much water) they may be fined for not conserving water.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">