• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nevada Emancipation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cavorttrovac

What is the name of your state? Nevada

A friend of mine has repeatedly been verbally assaulted by her mother, and last night her mother hit her for the first time. She ran away from home because of it. I know if she goes back her mom will hit her again. Her mom has in the past accused her falsely of things and in turn got her into trouble with the law. She is 17, and will be 18 in June. She would like to get out of that situation now, and I cant blame her. I'm not sure what to tell her. I dont know if the abuse catergorizes her to be granted emanicipation. I have the paperwork for her, so I wanted to know if this would help grant her emanicaption?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Is she able to fully support herself (housing, transportation, insurance, clothes, food, utilities, school supplies, entertainment, etc.) without help from ANYone?

cavorttrovac

She was planning on moving in with her boyfriend (who is of legal age) and has a job so she has the money. They both have transportation. She can support herself without the help of her parents.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
cavorttrovac said:
She was planning on moving in with her boyfriend (who is of legal age) and has a job so she has the money. They both have transportation. She can support herself without the help of her parents.
Nope, that doesn't count. She has to be able to afford to live ALONE. Can she pay for her own place?

cavorttrovac

stealth2 said:
Nope, that doesn't count. She has to be able to afford to live ALONE. Can she pay for her own place?

Not while going to high school full time. If she were to drop out, yeah, but she wants to stay in school. She was planning on working full time and going to school full time for her senior year.

cavorttrovac

racer72 said:
If her mother is hitting her, she needs to call the police, asap.
She's going to talk to her old probation officer today. He's not the police, but if she goes to them, she'll be returned to her home and to that situation.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
cavorttrovac said:
Not while going to high school full time. If she were to drop out, yeah, but she wants to stay in school. She was planning on working full time and going to school full time for her senior year.
In order to be emancipated, she needs to be able to support herself fully - even while going to school. Emancipation means that the courts recognize that she is mature enough to live as an adult, and is unlikely to end up on the welfare roles. They're not going to accept her living with someone as good enough - suppose she and her b/f split up and he tosses her out? Where's she going to live? She MUST show that she is able to support herself completely independently. If she can't - she's not going to be emancipated.

If she's being physically abused, calling the cops or CPS is a better option. If they feel it's warranted, she'll be placed in a safe place to live until she ages out. That place will NOT be with her b/f.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
cavorttrovac said:
She's going to talk to her old probation officer today. He's not the police, but if she goes to them, she'll be returned to her home and to that situation.
This in and of itself may preclude emancipation, depending on the details of her situation.

cavorttrovac

Alright, thank you guys. I've let her know of all these issues we've discussed. Like I said earlier, I dont want her going home, I dont trust that her mother wont hit her again. Since she already "ran away" is there a way other than having her as a missing person to keep her out of the house until we can figure something out? I know where she is, I know that she is safe, but I dont want to reveal any of that information to her mother. (Again, for fear of her safety).

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Being a runaway will pretty well preclude emancipation as it's not considered a mature response to the problem at hand. Sorry.

cavorttrovac

stealth2 said:
Being a runaway will pretty well preclude emancipation as it's not considered a mature response to the problem at hand. Sorry.

Which was the reason I advised her against it to begin with-- but alas, she listened to her boyfriend instead.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">