• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

never legally adopted

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

ridew

I was never legally adopted by my stepfather when he married my mother. I was four years old at the time and my parents just started calling me by my stepfathers name. Now that I am fifty and have recently moved to a new state, they require a birth certificate to get my drivers license. I have produced numerous documents including selective service, social security card, previous picture drivers license and the State of New Jersey will not let me get a license due to the fact that I don't have a birth certificate with my assumed name just one with my birth name. What can I do?

[Edited by ridew on 12-13-2000 at 04:09 PM]

usmcfamily

Why do you not have a birth certificate? Just because you were not adopted does not explain that --
As to how to get one - you contact the vital statistics office in the state you were born and ask for the forms to request a copy of your birth certificate. You complete the forms, pay the fee and they send you your copy and there you go.
The only thing that may be a hang up is that your name will differ if they never took any steps to legally change your name (this can be done outside of an adoption) but at least it will give you the document you need.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">