• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Never Married Child Support (FL)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member

I was dating a girl and we broke up. (We were never married) We then learned she was pregnant. Neither of us believes in abortion, but I thought adoption would be the best option (we're both young and without much income).

She is choosing to have the child and I am on the other side of the country enrolled in school. I told her I wouldn't abandon my financial obligations, but she has voiced her intention to take me to court for child support anyway.

I am just trying to get a handle on what to expect in court. I have a fellowship that pays for my school plus a stipend. And I work part-time to the tune of about $11,000/year. The stipend (i.e. money I get to keep that doesn't just pay for school) is $16,000.

Please help, I'm like a deer in the headlights.


Senior Member
Google for Florida CS calculators and run the numbers. On top of cs, you'll likely be expected to pay half of daycare, med insurance, and a portion of unpaid medical bills, once paternity had been established.
You also have the right to petition for visitation/custody. You and the mother can, and will probably be ordered to, go to mediation. There, you guys can try to come to angreement on a cs amount and visitation that would work especially with the distance involved. If not, the judge will decide.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential