• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Never received the ticket ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hambirg

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

I recently went in to renew my driver's license and found out my license was suspended in 8/2011. Not knowing what this was about I called the court clerk. After, speaking with the clerk I do remember being pulled over for a headlight out. The officer never gave me a ticket. The problem is, I think I might have signed one. I remember the officer giving me my license and insurance card back. He started walking back to his car and I was a bit confused so yelled back to him asking if I was free to go and he said yes. I remember being a little confused, but I figured he decided not to give me a ticket. Since I haven't gotten a ticket in 20+yrs, I also thought maybe it was done differently now and I would get something in the mail. Nothing ever came so I never gave it a second thought.

So now I learn my license has been suspended for months and just recently received a dunning letter from a collection agency (for almost $900. Yikes!)

Well, I don't have $900 laying around just to pay to make this go away. I'm also a little ticked because I would have requested a court date to get it reduced if I had known I had actually been issued a ticket.

The clerk suggested I write the judge and ask him to recall this from the collection agency. I would also like a court date to explain the circumstances and work something out. Do you think that's possible? And is "I never actually got the ticket" a valid defense? How would I even prove that? Should I just beg for mercy instead? lol

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">