• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"new" car bad paint job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cccno4

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Illinois is where I am from.

About a month ago I bought a used 2008 Impala and because of my credit, I am probably paying too much for this car. With that being said, about 3 days after we purchased the car we noticed that the passenger panels had 2 different colors of red. At first we thought it was a shadow, but we moved the car and noticed that it was still 2 different colors of red. We called our sales rep. from the dealership and told him about it. We took the car down there and he noticed it as well. He even stated that when the car was being washed he saw what he thought was a shadow on the passenger side. We have taken the car to 2 different auto body shops and have given the quotes to the dealership. They are refusing to pay for the paint job to be done. I feel like since they knew the car was 2 different colors and sold it that way that they should pay to have it fixed. I don't want to pay 17K for a car that looks bad. Do I have a leg to stand on? Help me please.

justalayman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Illinois is where I am from.

About a month ago I bought a used 2008 Impala and because of my credit, I am probably paying too much for this car. With that being said, about 3 days after we purchased the car we noticed that the passenger panels had 2 different colors of red. At first we thought it was a shadow, but we moved the car and noticed that it was still 2 different colors of red. We called our sales rep. from the dealership and told him about it. We took the car down there and he noticed it as well. He even stated that when the car was being washed he saw what he thought was a shadow on the passenger side. We have taken the car to 2 different auto body shops and have given the quotes to the dealership. They are refusing to pay for the paint job to be done. I feel like since they knew the car was 2 different colors and sold it that way that they should pay to have it fixed. I don't want to pay 17K for a car that looks bad. Do I have a leg to stand on? Help me please.
It's a used car. You have a duty to inspect the car to your satisfaction. Unless the seller was lacking in legal disclosure or lied to you about something of importance about the car, you get the paint as is, pretty much.

why do you think the seller would be liable for a new paint job? Apparently it was not bad enough to "look bad" when you were buying the thing.

cccno4

I did look over the car and as I stated before, it looked like a shadow, on the lot it was not that noticeable. It wasn't until we were able to get it in the sunlight that we noticed it was not a shadow. Now that I know what to look at, it is noticeable. We took it to get an estimate for a repaint for 2 reasons. #1 We felt like there had to be a reason it was painted that way....hence an accident which was not disclosed to us at the time of purchase and #2 because the sales rep. said to take it and get an estimate on it....like he was prepared to pay for it. Besides, when comparing car prices for bluebook value....this type of car is selling for x amount of dollars IF the car is in excellent condition ( which I think would include a good paint job). Otherwise, they shouldnt be selling it at x amount for excellent condition but good condition which significantly lowers the selling price.

justalayman

the only thing that lowers the selling price is what the buyer is willing to pay...period. What a buyer is willing to pay is the only thing that makes anything valuable.

You paid what you did and that made the value of the car exactly what you paid for it.

So, the only thing you may have to complain about is if there was something that had to be disclosed to you or if they lied in response to a question you asked concerning things, such as an accident.

First, you need to understand, most car salesmen have no idea about the history of a vehicle so them lying to you would be unlikely although not unknown.

The only other thing would be something they would have to disclose to you due to legal requirements. I do not know if an accident would have to be disclosed so I can;t help there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">