• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Claim or Extension

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mworth2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I understand all unemployment claims expire after one year. My date of termination was 8/12/08 and I was given an expiration date on my claim of 8/8/09. At this point I would be 4 weeks in a 13 week extension under (EUC). My first extension (20 weeks) started 2 weeks early because MA reduces regular benefits when there is a Federal extension. The unemployment representative told me to return on August 10, 2009 and they would either start a new claim or place me on extension.
Is one option better than the other and how is this determination made? :confused: I was at my last employer for 9 1/2 years. I had received a 2 dollar (ex. $18 hourly) raise 3 months prior to my termination date so earnings were based on previous quarters so my unemployment was roughly based on (ex. 16 hourly).

If I continued on the EUC extension, I believe I may be eligible for EB extension when that runs out if I am still unable to find a job.

Therefore, it one option better than the other in my situation. Would opening a new claim give me another 26 weeks?

Thank you so much if you are able to give me any insight. It is so difficult to get info when you are unemployed and job searching is a full-time job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">