• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Clause in Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bfu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SD
I received a contract with this clause now in it, can someone please give me an explanation of it? I have an idea but don’t want to be wrong.

“Smith agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Chamber of Commerce, City of XXX, and XXX County and any of its officers, agents, and employees from any and all liabilities, actions, causes of actions, claims or executions of any character, including attorney’s fees, or any sums which the Chamber, City and County may have to pay to any person on account of any personal or bodily injury, death or property damage, which results from any negligent act, error or omission of Smith in connection with this agreement or services performed or materials provided pursuant to this contract.”

Last edited:

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SD
I received a contract with this clause now in it, can someone please give me an explanation of it? I have an idea but don’t want to be wrong.

“Smith agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Chamber of Commerce, City of XXX, and XXX County and any of its officers, agents, and employees from any and all liabilities, actions, causes of actions, claims or executions of any character, including attorney’s fees, or any sums which the Chamber, City and County may have to pay to any person on account of any personal or bodily injury, death or property damage, which results from any negligent act, error or omission of Smith in connection with this agreement or services performed or materials provided pursuant to this contract.”
It means that if the Chamber of Commerce et al. are sued because of Smith's negligence, Smith has to foot the bill.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">