• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Full Book

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z3R0

i am writeing a christian book about how to be a better christian, and other dynamics related(teaching book)

my question is i Did'nt quote but i paraphrased stories(visions) that were in another christians books in many parts of my book, so it wasnt word for word but a summery of the situation presented then add my own thoughts about what i thought it ment and how is should be applied(what one should do in life teaching)

2nd question is i used some nasa photos to demonstrait how big space is in one topic,also some photos from personal people demonstriating largeness of planets and largness of the solor system and galaxy, and a picuture of Huygens probe landing picture for use in demonstraiting how big the universe is

3rd question is i did quote directly word for word also what christian ministers said for teaching reasons, like a sentance or so here and there

4th Q is i put webpage addresses to youtube of videos to watch, or the titles of the videos to watch online

my intention is for this book to be a free as possible but i have to charge for the printing/shipping/publisher/amazon costs where my profit might be from donations only and not in the book cost

Z3R0

Minnesota, i edited my book myself by reading it 2 times more after it was done and making edits,removeing unnecessary words/paragraphs and adding more and double checking it. also having 2 other people read it also and having them mark errors theve seen

quincy

Minnesota, i edited my book myself by reading it 2 times more after it was done and making edits,removeing unnecessary words/paragraphs and adding more and double checking it. also having 2 other people read it also and having them mark errors theve seen
Thank you for providing your state name.

I assume your manuscript does not have all of the grammar and spelling errors that your posts here have?

I will go through each of your questions one by one but I have other work to complete right now. I will try to get back to you shortly. :)

Just Blue

Hopefully you remembered to use capitals. ;)

Z3R0

right i paid extra attn to those details, but when i write casually i don't pay attn to grammar/spelling. and no worries take your time

Just Blue

right i paid extra attn to those details, but when i write casually i don't pay attn to grammar/spelling. and no worries take your time
Consider it your Christian duty to use proper capitalization, spelling, punctuation and grammar when posting on a legal site. It makes it easier for the volunteers here to read your postings. :)

I likely wouldn't have said anything...but you are a writer and know better. :)

quincy

i am writeing a christian book about how to be a better christian, and other dynamics related(teaching booknee

my question is i Did'nt quote but i paraphrased stories(visions) that were in another christians books in many parts of my book, so it wasnt word for word but a summery of the situation presented then add my own thoughts about what i thought it ment and how is should be applied(what one should do in life teaching)
You generally can summarize a book. You can comment on the book. You must provide information on the book (e.g., author, publisher, copyright date).
2nd question is i used some nasa photos to demonstrait how big space is in one topic,also some photos from personal people demonstriating largeness of planets and largness of the solor system and galaxy, and a picuture of Huygens probe landing picture for use in demonstraiting how big the universe is
Here is a link to guidelines for using NASA images: https://pmm.nasa.gov/image-use-policy or https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/guidelines/index.html

3rd question is i did quote directly word for word also what christian ministers said for teaching reasons, like a sentance or so here and there
If you quote anyone, the quote should be used only in the same context in which it was taken. Misquoting or misinterpreting what was said can be a problem.

You have to be very careful in what you say about the people in your book. Reputations are valuable. Don’t injure them with your words.
4th Q is i put webpage addresses to youtube of videos to watch, or the titles of the videos to watch online

my intention is for this book to be a free as possible but i have to charge for the printing/shipping/publisher/amazon costs where my profit might be from donations only and not in the book cost
Publishing web addresses or video titles should not be a problem.

Soliciting donations to help fund your publishing costs should likewise not be a problem, as long as you are honest about what the money is for, you use the money for only that purpose, and report the donations on your taxes. You must keep good records.

You should have insurance.

I recommend you have a publishing law professional and a good editor in your area review your manuscript prior to publication. The material you want to include in your book, if accredited properly, probably can be used. But you do not want to inadvertently infringe on anyone’s rights.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Z3R0

Another question is do I need to pursue any permissions at all, and i understand this isn't to be taken as legal advise, but in your experienced opinion.

Thank you Quincy for your response I appreciate what you do.

Thank you for your suggestion Just Blue, but i actually did very poorly in english and spelling class, as i'm sure it shows here. I first did a spell and grammar check on the entire document, then i did 2 full edits and had 2 others also check for errors as well. I did what felt right in a sentence adding commas, semicolons, quotations and yes, lol caps. I'm sure its not perfect but probably fair enough.

Just Blue

Another question is do I need to pursue any permissions at all, and i understand this isn't to be taken as legal advise, but in your experienced opinion.

Thank you for your suggestion Just Blue, but i actually did very poorly in english and spelling class,
Z3RO, You're preaching to the dyslexic choir! ;)

I'm a terrible speller and my grammar leaves much to be desired as well.

quincy

Thank you for your suggestion Just Blue, but i actually did very poorly in english and spelling class, as i'm sure it shows here. I first did a spell and grammar check on the entire document, then i did 2 full edits and had 2 others also check for errors as well. I did what felt right in a sentence adding commas, semicolons, quotations and yes, lol caps. I'm sure its not perfect but probably fair enough.
Because I have not read your manuscript, I cannot say that you definitely need to get permission from the authors/publishers of the material you want to use in your own publication. Getting written permission from the holder of any rights is certainly the legally safest way to operate - and I recommend it for that reason.

If you want to use copyrighted images, those require permission. If any image you use has a recognizable person in it, you will need to get a release from that person. You need to be careful about how much material you take from any copyrighted book. How much is too much is a question mark and largely depends on the holder of the copyright. Too much can result in an infringement lawsuit. If the quotes are personal quotes found in a copyrighted article, that also requires permission.

You would be smart to have your manuscript personally reviewed by a lawyer who specializes in publishing law.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I would suggest that you explore having a professional editor review your book as well. Grammar checkers are notorious for missing things and/or misinterpreting things.

zddoodah

my question is. . . .
Ummm...despite starting four paragraphs with references to questions, there is not a single question in your post.

If your intent was to ask if each of the four things you mentioned was legal, my thoughts are as follows:

1/3. Impossible to judge these without reading what you wrote and the source material.
2. Works created by the federal government, including NASA, are not protected by copyright. 17 U.S.C. section 105.
4. Not a problem.

do I need to pursue any permissions at all
See above re 1/3.

quincy

A link to NASA permissions was already provided. Some NASA images require permission if a person is pictured, especially if that person is an astronaut.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">