• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Full Book

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
... i Did'nt quote but i paraphrased stories(visions) that were in another christians books in many parts of my book, so it wasnt word for word but a summery of the situation presented...
... I looked the scriptures up on the internet and copied from internet sources

Which is it?

I believe that not stealing is pretty important to all of the Christian religions...

quincy

Educational uses of copyright-protected material fall under fair use guidelines. But you will want all of the material you will be taking from various sources personally reviewed by an IP attorney in your area, including the versions of the Bible you wish to use, the excerpts you’ve chosen, and your summaries of what you’ve read.

You can check the copyright page of the Bibles to see what it shows. You can contact the publisher to inquire about what requires permission.

Here, for example, is a link to Harper Collins Christian and what requires permission:
https://www.harpercollinschristian.com/sales-and-rights/permissions/#1
All traditional publishers will have similar permission guidelines.

Your post, by the way, should be returned to the thread soon, after the moderator reviews it.

Last edited:

Z3R0

Which is it?

I believe that not stealing is pretty important to all of the Christian religions...
i did both from other christian authors to help my points, from fables to help my point, and from the bible to support my points.

using bible scriptures is very common and expected amongst Christians, they want an author to prove their point from the bible.

i do not appreciate the comment about stealing, this is why i am asking questions about it. that statement was hurtful.

quincy

i did both from other christian authors to help my points, from fables to help my point, and from the bible to support my points.

using bible scriptures is very common and expected amongst Christians, they want an author to prove their point from the bible.

i do not appreciate the comment about stealing, this is why i am asking questions about it. that statement was hurtful.
You should check with each publisher for their permissions to see what is required of you if you want to use their copyright-protected material.

The recommendation remains to have your manuscript personally reviewed by a publishing law/IP professional and editor.

Good luck.

quincy

Z3R0 is on the forum to see what he is allowed to do, and what he shouldn’t do, with copyright-protected material. I applaud him for checking on the legalities before publishing his book. Too many people wait until they receive a cease and desist letter before thinking about copyrights.

Zigner

Z3R0 is on the forum to see what he is allowed to do, and what he shouldn’t do, with copyright-protected material. I applaud him for checking on the legalities before publishing his book. Too many people wait until they receive a cease and desist letter before thinking about copyrights.
While it's good to check before publishing a book, it's probably better to check before (and during) the writing process.

quincy

While it's good to check before publishing a book, it's probably better to check before (and during) the writing process.
True. A writer probably should know the rules and laws of writing before setting pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard).

Do not plagiarize and do not infringe on others’ rights-protected works are pretty essential lessons to learn. Learning when to and how to properly attribute sources is another.

Z3R0

amongst christians is very common to always back up what their saying with scriptures i am just used to this practice in christianity. i didn't know that one could copyright the bible it is a surprise to me.

Zigner
"It was hurtful to point out a basic tenet of Christianity?"

it was that you were implying that i was stealing that was hurtful, you could have chosen a better way of saying your point

it was never my intention to do so, especially that it is very common place amounst christians to always quote the bible in anything and everything involving teaching. if it was absent then it would be considered unproven, potentially unbiblical, so other christians want one to prove themselves in the bible. ive grown up my whole life in this, i never knew the newer bibles were copyrighted. it is an ignorance factor if you will.

i since looked at the web page for like new king james and they have a set of rules that if you follow them all then you do not need permission they state.

i guess im not legally minded i am just now pursuing all that i need to in order to set things in proper order now. so it was my ignorance of these dynamics.

one thing i didn't mention is i did pursue the author i used the most before i wrote my book and he did give me permission to use his writings, the other permissions i need to pursue are more or less a few statements, and these things came to me at the moment and were not planned

quincy

amongst christians is very common to always back up what their saying with scriptures i am just used to this practice in christianity. i didn't know that one could copyright the bible it is a surprise to me.

Zigner

it was that you were implying that i was stealing that was hurtful, you could have chosen a better way of saying your point

it was never my intention to do so, especially that it is very common place amounst christians to always quote the bible in anything and everything involving teaching. if it was absent then it would be considered unproven, potentially unbiblical, so other christians want one to prove themselves in the bible. ive grown up my whole life in this, i never knew the newer bibles were copywrited. it is an ignorance factor if you will.

i since looked at the web page for like new king james and they have a set of rules that if you follow them all then you do not need permission they state.

i guess im not legally minded i am just now pursuing all that i need to in order to set things in proper order now. so it was my ignorance of these dynamics.

one thing i didn't mention is i did pursue the author i used the most before i wrote my book and he did give me permission to use his writings, the other permissions i need to pursue are more or less a few statements, and these things came to me at the moment and were not planned
I am happy that you acquired permission from the author whose work you are using the most. Try to get all permissions in writing so, if there is a dispute in the future, you have proof of the agreement.

As long as you follow the author/publisher’s terms for use, and get permissions when needed, you should be fine.

Zigner

Zigner

I implied nothing. You inferred everything.

quincy

Copyright infringement is often referred to as “stealing” because it is taking rights-protected material without authorization from the copyright holder.

I recommend that the terminology be ignored.

Z3R0

i looked at my previous post i saw the webpage references were removed,

basically if you do a google search for a scripture those 2 web sites always are the top 2 that are at the top of the search, they are most bible translations that you can see all the variations for any one given scripture.

its very common thing to have this kind of site or even program with all bibles in it, nothing illegal about its common place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">