• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New furnace & AC unit installed but not working properly?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I'm in Michigan and had my AC & Furnace replaced back on June 4th. The company that did it was "TXX." out of XX, MI. At least that's what the man presented himself as, along with the written estimate. Which appears to be all bogus as the address doesn't exist and the phone numbers are disconnected.

Anyhow I gave them a deposit of $2750 initially and then paid the balance of $2750 on June 4th after they installed the new AC/Furnace. He used Square to take the two payments on his cell phone. At that time he said I would get an invoice in a week or so because they were so backed up. So the only thing I ever physically received from them was the original estimate that shows everything was paid in full.

Unfortunately the new unit does not cool the house down. Called him on his cell phone which is still the only valid number I have and he came back out to the house. He told me there where a few things he could do and to give him a few days. Haven't heard back from him sense, tried texting / calling him dozens of times. Had credit card company do a chargeback but they overturned it since I did physically have the new equipment, albeit not working.

So at this point I have no contact information for this company except the Zach guys cell phone. Believe the business is completely bogus at this point so not sure what to do? Is this something I pursue through Small Claims court or another way? Also is there anything I can do about him falsely acting as a business that doesn't exist etc?

Any help at all would be great as I have no idea what to do at this point, thanks!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm in Michigan and had my AC & Furnace replaced back on June 4th. The company that did it was "TXX." out of XX, MI. At least that's what the man presented himself as, along with the written estimate. Which appears to be all bogus as the address doesn't exist and the phone numbers are disconnected.

Anyhow I gave them a deposit of $2750 initially and then paid the balance of $2750 on June 4th after they installed the new AC/Furnace. He used Square to take the two payments on his cell phone. At that time he said I would get an invoice in a week or so because they were so backed up. So the only thing I ever physically received from them was the original estimate that shows everything was paid in full.

Unfortunately the new unit does not cool the house down. Called him on his cell phone which is still the only valid number I have and he came back out to the house. He told me there where a few things he could do and to give him a few days. Haven't heard back from him sense, tried texting / calling him dozens of times. Had credit card company do a chargeback but they overturned it since I did physically have the new equipment, albeit not working.

So at this point I have no contact information for this company except the Zach guys cell phone. Believe the business is completely bogus at this point so not sure what to do? Is this something I pursue through Small Claims court or another way? Also is there anything I can do about him falsely acting as a business that doesn't exist etc?

Any help at all would be great as I have no idea what to do at this point, thanks!!

If you can't reach him now, what makes you think you'll be able to find him to serve him and/or collect from him?

Did you check to see if he was licensed?
Unfortunately no. He came as a referral so we assumed we could trust him, bad assumption of course. It was when temps were in upper 90's & 100's, so all the HVAC places were telling us 2-3 weeks. Got the referral for this guy through the kids school, called him, he said that he could do it that week, so we just told him to it...

If you can't reach him now, what makes you think you'll be able to find him to serve him and/or collect from him?
I have a valid cell phone number for the guy (granted he will not respond to me) but that's it. So I guess that's part of the problem since I don't even have a valid address. Which is why I'm hoping there's something I can do legally, especially to stop him from screwing over and/or scamming other people....

quincy

Unfortunately no. He came as a referral so we assumed we could trust him, bad assumption of course. It was when temps were in upper 90's & 100's, so all the HVAC places were telling us 2-3 weeks. Got the referral for this guy through the kids school, called him, he said that he could do it that week, so we just told him to it...
If the referral was through the school, you might want to ask the school for information.

pac72

you may want to call a reliable contractor to check your units operation (since mr fly by night isn't responding to you ) since operating it if its low on charge etc may seriously damage it if you try to run it.. but most reliable contractors wont take on freddy fly by nights mistakes... if you get lucky and find one...expect to be billed time and materials

chances are you are finding out now you should have waited for a legit co to do your work..

I have 30 yrs hvac experience... and have had to go over others hack job installs... HOPEFULLY he guessed at the correct size of equipment... if its undersized...you are gonna have to start over with the proper equipment. an expensive lesson to learn

you may want to call a reliable contractor to check your units operation (since mr fly by night isn't responding to you ) since operating it if its low on charge etc may seriously damage it if you try to run it.. but most reliable contractors wont take on freddy fly by nights mistakes... if you get lucky and find one...expect to be billed time and materials

chances are you are finding out now you should have waited for a legit co to do your work..

I have 30 yrs hvac experience... and have had to go over others hack job installs... HOPEFULLY he guessed at the correct size of equipment... if its undersized...you are gonna have to start over with the proper equipment. an expensive lesson to learn
Agreed on all fronts! Family Heating & Cooling is supposed to be coming out next week to check it all out.

Hopefully sizing is correct, do know it's larger than the previous one. 3.5 ton for a 1824' house...

With all this said are there any legal actions I can take against this individual? Surely seems like it would be illegal to operate a company that doesn't exist and screw people over?!?!

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You don't even know who the guy is, all you have is a phone number which could be a Google Voice number or a pre-paid phone for all you know.

What makes you think you can take ANY action against him considering you have no idea who he is?

You don't even know who the guy is, all you have is a phone number which could be a Google Voice number or a pre-paid phone for all you know.

What makes you think you can take ANY action against him considering you have no idea who he is?
I paid with a credit card and he has a Square account linked to his bank account. Fairly certain there's someway to figure it out from a legal standpoint? My credit card company contacted him and he sent it the invoice of what he installed to them, which I've never received myself. Unfortunately they won't share any info with me....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">