• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Hampshire: Ex-wife stopped making payments on Comcast

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JohnBarret

New Hampshire

I am wondering if I have a solid enough case to file a claim in Small Claims Court.

My wife and I lived in the same apartment and had signed up for Comcast services. The services were on my name with her being an authorized member. Fast forward few years we separated and I moved out to Massachusetts. However, I did not cancel Comcast. She continued using the service and paying for it 100%. Fast forward a few more years we finalized a divorce. This happened in the spring of last year. The divorce was simple, as is. I still did not cancel cable. At the end of the summer, she stopped paying for the service without notifying me. Comcast sent the outstanding bill to a collection agency which (this week) mailed a notice to my current address that I owe Comcast a little over $500. Not a pleasant surprise. I paid the debt to the collection agency.

Could I file a claim against my wife for the amount I was charged? Or should I just right it off?

Thank you bunches,
John Barret

quincy

New Hampshire

I am wondering if I have a solid enough case to file a claim in Small Claims Court.

My wife and I lived in the same apartment and had signed up for Comcast services. The services were on my name with her being an authorized member. Fast forward few years we separated and I moved out to Massachusetts. However, I did not cancel Comcast. She continued using the service and paying for it 100%. Fast forward a few more years we finalized a divorce. This happened in the spring of last year. The divorce was simple, as is. I still did not cancel cable. At the end of the summer, she stopped paying for the service without notifying me. Comcast sent the outstanding bill to a collection agency which (this week) mailed a notice to my current address that I owe Comcast a little over $500. Not a pleasant surprise. I paid the debt to the collection agency.

Could I file a claim against my wife for the amount I was charged? Or should I just right it off?

Thank you bunches,
John Barret
It would save you time and aggravation to write it off. If the service was in your name, you were responsible for the payments.

You really should have canceled the service last spring.

adjusterjack

Did your decree address who gets the cable service and who pays for it?

If it didn't, I don't think you would win.

If it did, and she was supposed to pay for it, it wouldn't be a new lawsuit, it would be back to divorce court to enforce your decree.

quincy

We appreciate the thanks, John, so thank you.

I actually think it nice that, even after your divorce, you trusted your ex-wife. I'm sorry she left you with a $500 Comcast bill, though ...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">