• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Home Construction Tax Deductions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

ditto

According to the IRS publications on the subject and information I've gotten from various web sites, you can deduct the interest for a mortgage loan taken out to build a home, but only while construction is in progress up to a maximum of 24 months from the start of construction. I have found nothing that says I can deduct the interest on the loan taken to purchase the property on which the home will be built. I have been told by an IRS representative, a CPA and 2 friends who have done this that you can deduct the interest on the loan for purchasing the property and by rolling over the construction loan to a conventional mortgage loan after construction is completed you can deduct the interest on that for the life of the loan, just like buying a house already built. However, nobody -- including the IRS representative -- could tell me where in the tax code or in which IRS publication this information could be found. With the IRS, I don't want to have to say "well, everyone does it".

Does anyone know where in the tax code or in which IRS publication I can find this information?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">