• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Jersey registered vehicle - NYC Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bryan Page

Can NYC implement enforcement procedures for parking tickets
issued to NJ licensed vehicles parked in New York? Threatening letters have listed Enforcement Procedures as:

assigning judgements to collection agencies
seizing vehicle and selling it at auction
restraining bank account
wage garnishment

Can these procedures be implemented in New Jersey by the New York City Department of Finance? Is there any agreement that allows NY to act to enforce parking violations in NJ? Further can NYC seize another vehicle other than the one ticekted but registered to the same owner as the originally ticketed vehicle? Furthermore can the same vehicle driven in the State of New York but outside the City of New York also be subject to the same enforcement procedures?

Thanks for your help.

Bryan

racer72

Yes they can. New York and New Jersey have a unilateral agreement that allows court judgements to be honored across state lines. And the judgement would be obtained in state court making it effective throughout the state. I have heard that NYC has some of the nastiest and most ruthless collection agents available. In my state, the city of Seattle has started seizing property for unpaid parking tickets. It made the news a few month ago when one gentleman had his brand new pickup seized for $500 in parking tickets.

B

Bryan Page

Thanks for your help and advice. Not the information I was hoping for nevertheless extremely valued....Bryan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">