• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NEW LANDLORD NOT HONORING EXISTING LEASE

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FarmerJ

When you re read your lease copy did you see wording that said the LL/ leaser had the right to transfer it to another party or could assign it ? or that it was transferable on the LLs end but not yours? As long as your lease says it transferred and didn't grant the leaser and rights to change any terms ( raise rent or end it early , tell you no cats when your current lease allowed the cat) then id like you to sit back and imagine how bad your LL will look in court if he tried to raise rent, make you get out / drive you out. deny you something the lease allows etc in a court room when you show the court your copy of the lease that is still a valid contract with new LL like it or not ? ( thisd is why you must store a copy of your lease somewhere else so it cant be stolen or turn up missing ! )

FlyingRon

By default the lease is binding on new owners (other than in foreclosure situations) even if it doesn't say anything. I've never seen a lease that says that the landlord is free to terminate the lease on the sale of the property, but I suppose it can happen. Usually, it says the opposite (the lease is binding on heirs and assignees), but that would be true even in absence of such a clause.

kmn8799

When you re read your lease copy did you see wording that said the LL/ leaser had the right to transfer it to another party or could assign it ? or that it was transferable on the LLs end but not yours? As long as your lease says it transferred and didn't grant the leaser and rights to change any terms ( raise rent or end it early , tell you no cats when your current lease allowed the cat) then id like you to sit back and imagine how bad your LL will look in court if he tried to raise rent, make you get out / drive you out. deny you something the lease allows etc in a court room when you show the court your copy of the lease that is still a valid contract with new LL like it or not ? ( thisd is why you must store a copy of your lease somewhere else so it cant be stolen or turn up missing ! )
Great thanks luckily I have several copies and have it as a pdf saved in my email!

kmn8799

By default the lease is binding on new owners (other than in foreclosure situations) even if it doesn't say anything. I've never seen a lease that says that the landlord is free to terminate the lease on the sale of the property, but I suppose it can happen. Usually, it says the opposite (the lease is binding on heirs and assignees), but that would be true even in absence of such a clause.
Thanks I am just trying to find a legit law or statute saying so because I know for sure if I don't know my rights he will do whatever he wants. I don't want an argument or altercation, would rather provide him the law and a copy of my lease. At that point he can be upset all he wants but he'd have to go deal with the former landlord instead of trying to mess with me.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks I am just trying to find a legit law or statute saying so because I know for sure if I don't know my rights he will do whatever he wants. I don't want an argument or altercation, would rather provide him the law and a copy of my lease. At that point he can be upset all he wants but he'd have to go deal with the former landlord instead of trying to mess with me.
See, the problem is that the new LL isn't going to care what you hand him. It might be worth it for you to pay a little money and have an attorney write a letter if the LL keeps pushing.

LdiJ

This link from the Florida Bar Association might provide some help.

https://www.floridabar.org/public/consumer/tip014/
The following is the Landlord/Tenant Handbook from the 20th Judicial Circuit Court of Florida. It also may provide some helpful information.

http://www.unlimitedmls.com/forms/Landlord-Tenant-Handbook.pdf

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">