• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Landlord/Old Lease/Security Dep?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ajshawna

What is the name of your state? Utah

The house we have been renting for the last 5 years, just sold.
When we moved in, we signed a 1 year lease, paid 1st and Last month's rent, and a $400 security deposit w/ $300 of that as refundable. We received a 30 day notice to vacate the premises, now we just received a 3-day pay or vacate, my questiion is does my last month's rent that I paid the previous owner still apply? and who do I collect my security deposit from? Thank you for your help! ajshawna

FarmerJ

AJ your deposit would have been transfered to the new owner at the closing . If you paid last month rent back when you moved in of course you should be able to use it . You do have your copy of the lease and your rcts from when you first moved in dont you ? If you have all those things make a copy of them and send copy to new LL using certified mail . The 3 day notice is likely what your LL must do before going to court so if you can show LL your proof of being able to either stay to use last months rent up or be refunded it .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">