• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Landlords

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Janey16

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

We rented an apartment and signed a lease with one rental management agency. A couple of weeks later, the property was sold and became managed by another rental company. We were never asked to sign another lease. My question is are residential leases transferable? Am I still bound by the original lease, or by what the new management company's leases say?

Also, we have had major problems with our neighbors', even to the point of having the police out. I do not feel safe in my apt., and I definitely am not enjoying the property that I have rented. Is there a legal way to get out of the lease (we have 4 months left) without being liable for those 4 months rent? I am willing to forfeit my security deposit. My landlord refuses to get involved with the dispute with the neighbor.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

nextwife

Transfer of ownership does not change your lease terms. Just as they cannot tell you to move because they bought the building, you cannot disregard the lease. Keep working with the managment company on your neighbor problems.

FarmerJ

Keep any communications with your LL in writting and send them with at the very least a certificate of mailing and keep copy for your self . then you have a paper trail to back up your self .

HomeGuru

Janey16 said:
What is the name of your state? Louisiana

We rented an apartment and signed a lease with one rental management agency. A couple of weeks later, the property was sold and became managed by another rental company. We were never asked to sign another lease. My question is are residential leases transferable? Am I still bound by the original lease, or by what the new management company's leases say?

Also, we have had major problems with our neighbors', even to the point of having the police out. I do not feel safe in my apt., and I definitely am not enjoying the property that I have rented. Is there a legal way to get out of the lease (we have 4 months left) without being liable for those 4 months rent? I am willing to forfeit my security deposit. My landlord refuses to get involved with the dispute with the neighbor.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

**A: ask L if you found another tenant will you be let out of your lease?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">