• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

new lease dated for the future

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lynwink

I just signed a lease for a new apartment. I was told I could 'move in' but that there were still some Minor repairs to be done. The landlord said she would not charge me for what was left of Nov. and date the lease for December 1 because the repairs intailed painting and it was best I actually live there until it was done. She gave me the key and the move-in checklist form. All seemed fine, and may still be. The apartment however, has not been cleaned and has many problemns to be fixed --painting, dishwasher replacement, cleaning--as I was forwarned. Then, it occured to me that the lease is dated Dec 1 and there is no mention of me beginning my move-in on Nov 26th or all the repairs they are suppose to do finish before Dec 1. Should I list all these repairs on the move-in checklist now or wait until Nov 1 since that is my offcial move-in date. What if the workers damage my property while working. Is the apartment 'mine' or in some kind of limbo. I hope I have not gotten myself into a potential problem. Confused in Michigan--.

HomeGuru

You make a property condition list now when you move in and then an update when the lease starts. Be sure to have sign it and have L also sign.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">