• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Management Decides I am No Longer Qualified for My Job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blankspace85

I have been working for an educational start-up that teaches English for about five years. I was there from the beginning, before we had a name. I have worn many hats as the company changed needs and evolved, and I have worked 60+ hours a week, 7 days a week for many years. I didn't take more then 3 days off in two years. My dedication to the company has always been without question.

The company is a bit more established now, with 30+ workers. I have been performing the same task or role more than 2.5 years now, with glowing performance reviews. The company shifted to a new business model, and new person was hired as my supervisor. In about two months things started to go badly: I felt I was not being given guidance to achieve my new goals and was being set up for failure by establishing unattainable KPIs. When I communicated this to my supervisor, she said I was being negative and lacking initiative. The opposite was regularly brought up as some of my best qualities.

The environment turned hostile and the little communication offered was misleading. In short, I have been forced to leave the department citing 1) Lack of training and 2) I am not a native English speaker. (I must note that my education and experience as a bilingual teacher and professional translator, and the fact that I am bilingual in Spanish and English were key factors to get hired in the first place.)

I am being told I am no longer qualified for my job, and I have been "offered" to be transferred to the sales department instead (a field in which I have zero training or experience.)

I brought up the issues with my new supervisor to her directly as well as to her supervisors, whom I have known and worked with for years, and with whom I established a personal friendship. I am receiving the same response from them all, and I feel I am being forced to either leave the company or fail at a new job I wasn't trained to do.

Additional information: My husband started working for the same company as a freelance contractor doing voice-over work two years ago. His work has never been questioned, but my new supervisor is now demanding someone else does the audio work on the basis that they need more variety in gender and accents (my husband is a native English speaker from the US.) I feel my new supervisor has an agenda to have both me and my husband fired or to make the situation so unbearable we have to quit, and I feel he is being targeted because of my problems with her.

I'd like to know if there is anything I can do legally. The company is based in New York.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you had to guess, what would you say is the reason the new supervisor does not want you and your husband there?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">