• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Notice on Old Threads

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

woody100

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Old threads being answered long after they were asked or there has been any activity.

We have added a solution (could be modified). It currently shows for any thread that has not had a post for 180 days. The notice appears just above the Quick Reply box. We are interested in any opinions you all have on this.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I like it, but I think that the second sentence ("It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.") might be better worded to fit the situation...

quincy

I just read the "Thread Status" notice that appears above the reply box.

I really like the personalizing of the message.

I agree with Zigner, though, that the message itself might not deter from posting those who typically revive old threads (the advertisers, the trolls).

PayrollHRGuy

How about "Please create a new thread as old threads are often ignored."

That's pretty close to what most of us tell them when they post to old threads with lines like, "The same thing happened to me..."

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
While I generally like the idea of this, my concern is that it that it discourages people from updating their own threads.

Would there be a way to exclude that message for the original poster?
Or at least indicate that updates by the original poster are okay?

Just Blue

While I generally like the idea of this, my concern is that it that it discourages people from updating their own threads.

Would there be a way to exclude that message for the original poster?
Or at least indicate that updates by the original poster are okay?
I agree!

Perhaps: "Unless you are the original poster here to update, please don't post to this over 180 old thread." (only better worded...lol)

woody100

Administrator
Staff member
Love the thread warning but I have noticed that if a thread is reopened and then the newer messages are deleted the message doesn't appear.

Here is an example.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/threads/question-about-shed-on-the-property-who-can-use-it-landlord-or-tenant.606429/#post-3625685
Well, after a BUNCH of digging through the code we have determined it may be more trouble than it is worth to fix this bug. We are going to see if this becomes a continuing problem before potentially breaking something else trying to fix this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">