• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New parenting plan/adjustment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SirMisterM

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

I have joint custody but I do not have primary custody of my 4yo boy. I failed to submit proof of a parenting class as required. My progressive parenting plan did not progress because of this hold-up. I visit every time I am allowed, without fail. My boy and I have a loving relationship and he just started overnights with me and we have a great time. I live 300 miles away and want to have have him visit me at my home, meeting half way. Currently I have to find a place to stay with him in his city. The ex hates me and does not work with me. I have never done drugs or been convicted of a crime. I could have been in the Braidy Bunch.

What do i need to file to have a conversation with the original judge about 'intent' vs specific listings in the paperwork?

What do I need to file to try to get a new parenting plan?

I know that my son is also being punished for my neglecting to finish the class. I need to get a new, excelerated schedule if possible.

summerdawn

Wow. That is REALLY late. (<--understatement of the year.) How long was the class itself?

Was something supposed to happen in court when you turned it in? What did the judge say after it was finally turned in?

Isis1

OP needs to resubmit a NEW order to show cause and start back all over from square one. this time. do everything before the deadline.

summerdawn

Does square one possibly=new parenting class? :eek:

I always thought those things were open ended, like hey bring in a parenting class when you are ready to do what you're supposed to do, and we'll talk then. The law seems so in favor of parents that sometimes years later they complete stuff and finally work up more visitation time with the child...

LdiJ

OP needs to resubmit a NEW order to show cause and start back all over from square one. this time. do everything before the deadline.
I am going to slightly disagree. I think that he simply needs to file for a visitation modification and a new parenting plan. Under the circumstances, I think that would make more sense.

It took him two years to do what he was supposed to do.

Isis1

I am going to slightly disagree. I think that he simply needs to file for a visitation modification and a new parenting plan. Under the circumstances, I think that would make more sense.

It took him two years to do what he was supposed to do.
okay, i'm probably wording this all wrong and i do want to word this correctly. OP never stated there is a hearing coming up. so let's say there's no pending issues, wouldn't he have to submit an order to show cause for the modification in order to have his issue brought before the court? thus having to start the issue all over again.

and no summer :p, i should have clarified about the parenting classes. if i'm not mistaken, once taken they do not have to be retaken. which is proabaly a shame because some are completely worthless. (kind of like comedy driving school for traffic violations)

LdiJ

okay, i'm probably wording this all wrong and i do want to word this correctly. OP never stated there is a hearing coming up. so let's say there's no pending issues, wouldn't he have to submit an order to show cause for the modification in order to have his issue brought before the court? thus having to start the issue all over again.

and no summer :p, i should have clarified about the parenting classes. if i'm not mistaken, once taken they do not have to be retaken. which is proabaly a shame because some are completely worthless. (kind of like comedy driving school for traffic violations)
Well...I guess it would depend on his state's terminology. I was not aware that any states used an "order to show cause" as terminology if someone needed a modification and there was no pending issues before the court. In the states I am familiar with it would be simply a motion or petition for modification.

However, I am specifically stating that he should NOT file a show cause for why mom should not be held in contempt. I am suggesting that he file to modify instead.

SirMisterM

Ok, yes. I was very late, but i spared the details to keep it pithy. I did not even know my first class had not been properly submitted for over a year. I took a class and signed a sheet and wrote my case number down and the judge. It was 5 hours on a saturday. Something did not happen right. I came expected the second phase to happen and my ex said i didnt turn it in yet, and i thought she was just being a pain.

Ultimately, the stress of all of it caused me to suppress things and I did not get on the ball about it for a long time. I felt the world was at an end and I had no power, yada yada yada.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">