• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NEW RENTER-RENT COLLECTION

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

ROBINRAZ

This is my very first time ever renting, the house that I want to rent has some very unusual terms and I'm not quite sure this is legal. First, he will only accept my rent in cash (yeah right!) or a money order. I do not have any problems with my credit, I shouldn't be considered a high risk renter, but he will not accept my personal check. The landlord also wants me to agree to have the rent on the first, (which isn't a problem) but there is no grace period. He starts to charge me $25 per day beginning the 2nd. I feel like he's setting me up for the fall. Not even three to five days! I have owned my own home in the past, and this is worse than any mortgage company I've ever had! Is this even legal that he request such things? To top it off, he is doing some repairs to the house and wants me to start paying rent when the property isn't even ready. Help, I'm scared to get into this, but it is the house that I really want! I also heard that since he has a security deposit, that he has to have it in an account accruing interest. Is that true? I live in Ohio and I have no idea on the laws regarding this.

HomeGuru

Give me a freakin break Robin but I am razing you for being blinded and ignorant. You sound like a young girl on a radio talk show: help, I met this really cute guy and want to go out with him. He is a convicted rapist but he's so cute. Should I go out with him? He says he likes me and since he is out on parole and has a good job, why not? He promised me that he has changed? And my best girlfriend told me that there is no law saying that I can't date a sex offender. What do you think? I just need a second opinion.

Hey girl, I have been down that road before and I have road rage.

R

ROBINRAZ

reply to homeguru

Well thanks so much for your reply and pointing out how blind and ignorant I am. I came here for some advice on the LEGALITY of this landlords demands (I already knew it was a bunch of BS) and didn't realize I would possibly be insulted and compared to an empty headed teenager. By being here, I am already admitting that I do not know the answers to my questions. Speaking of IGNORANCE, what is "razing"? The reference to my screen name is understood, yet the elementary level spelling of the word is "RAZZING".

HomeGuru

There you go again. On one hand you state that you already knew that it was a bunch of BS. Then next you state that you don't know the answers to your questions. The answers to your questions: yes, it is a bunch of BS.

And I am sorry if that was not the answers that you were looking for but I do remember you saying, "help, I'm scared..." I was simply trying to help and unscare you.

Please do not get me wrong, I'm a nice guy. L can legally do everything except the last thing. Ok, are you happy now.

And not be be redundant or anything with the ignorance issue but feel free to look up the word razing in your dictionary. You may learn something new today.

[Edited by HomeGuru on 12-11-2000 at 02:21 PM]

R

ROBINRAZ

Again...I was asking for the LEGAL side of it! I didn't ask if it was BS, I know that!

I did get my dictionary out today did you?

raze (verb transitive) razed; raz*ing
[alteration of rase]
First appeared 1536
1 a archaic : ERASE
b : to scrape, or shave off
2 : to destroy to the ground : DEMOLISH

-- raz*er (noun)

Please HomeGuru don't feel as though you need to reply to this. I'll take advice elsewhere. I'd like to put an end to this now. Your idea of a "nice guy" and mine are two different things.

Legal advice from anyone else would be greatly appreciated.

HomeGuru

Robin dear, I already gave you the legal answers. In my post I stated that L can legally do everything except the last thing.

I'll explain in detail.
1) make you only pay rent in cash or MO: yes
2) have you pay rent on the first with no grace period: yes
3) have you pay rent when the property is not even ready: no

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">