• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New smoking addendum

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beckyrusher

What is the name of your state?PA

Hi,
Our landlord stuck a notice on our door with a new non smoking adden. It says they are switching to non smoking on the premises. Parking lot, breezeways etc.
My question us do we have to sign this when we have been here for 3 years. And never had any smoking policy before? Also can they really put in the new addendum that you will be evicted for smoking in your car as you pull into the parking lot???
What can they do if we refuse to sign?
Thank you

FarmerJ

Becky just to make sure, so was this to include smoking in each apartment or just the so called common areas ? and if your in a longer term lease does the written lease say the LL can make changes to it mid lease ? (last is your apartment a publicly subsidized rental ? I asked because so many subsidized rentals have been going non smoking in the last few years )

beckyrusher

FarmerJ, it doesn't say anything about smoking in the apartment. Just the common areas. I'll have to read thru the full lease, its like 20 pages, to see about if it states they can change things mid lease. We have been month to month for a couple years now.
Thank you for your input Gail.
Xylene, I don't smoke. Its just seems a very ridiculous thing to do. Considering people can open their windows while smoking and it will still drift outside. And if you think about it, from so many years of so many people smoking, it's in the air all the time. No matter where you are.

xylene

I'm having a hard time parsing what your legal problem is in light of this information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">