• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Subdivision road is too close to my home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

suzan0726

Planned Subdivision road is right on my property line

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
We live in a six-lot subdivision, which runs along a township road (all lots on the same side of the road -- one acre zoning). The lot next to ours has been purchased by the principals of a subdivision being planned behind our home. They intend to use this lot for the access road to the community, among other uses. They have marked the location of the proposed road and it runs right along our property line. We are concerned because we built our home right up to the required sideline. According to our zoning Laws, the sideline setback is 15' and the road setback is 50'. If one cannot build a new home within 50' of an existing road, can a new road be built within 50' of an existing home? Could the 15' sideline apply instead? I have gone to the Township Planning Commission and they only tell me to read the ordinance, and that they are not allowed to give advice. I cannot find anywhere in the Zoning Ordinance and SALDO where it states what a road's setbacks are -- only the required width. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

jimmler

suzan0726 said:
What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
We live in a six-lot subdivision, which runs along a township road (all lots on the same side of the road -- one acre zoning). The lot next to ours has been purchased by the principals of a subdivision being planned behind our home. They intend to use this lot for the private access road to the subdivision, a sales office and other uses. They have marked the location of the proposed road and it runs right along our property line. We are concerned because we built our home right up to the required sideline. According to our zoning Laws, the sideline setback is 15', but the road setback is 50'. If one cannot build a new home within 50' of an existing road, can a new road be built within 50' of an existing home? Could the 15' sideline apply instead? Any input is greatly appreciated.
You should go to your township and ask these questions. Maybe you can find the regulations online, but they will be able to interpret them for you.

A private access road is often times looked at differently than a public road.

Let us know what you find out from your township.

jimmler

I am not a lawyer, I have been in surveying since 1989.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">