• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Tire Blown

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jedi12

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI
We just purchased a brand new Ford Fusion. The car had about 40 miles on it when we got it (dealer got it from anoher dealer 40 miles away. We took ownership on May 31st. On June 3rd after only driven 20 miles the right front tire blew and pulled to the right where the im hit the curb causing damage to the rim. The side of the entire tire was shredded. The car was towed to the dealer. Talked with the service manager and he said there was a "cut" in the so it must have been cause by hitting an object. Now they want me to buy a new tire and rim at my expense - about $700. What alternatives do I have? I am no sure that I can believe the service manager.

OHRoadwarrior

Unless you noted damage or a bulge in the tire prior to purchase, that is likely what happened. I would ask dealer to give you rim and tire at cost, as a customer consideration. If he declines, call Ford customer service and request the same. Explain you have no idea what happened, however you would appreciate them recognizing your product purchase, by assisting you through this issue. If you have purchased Fords in the past, note you are a returning customer. If you have just bought your first Ford, drop that into the conversation also.

xylene

This wasn't some special model right?

700 for a tire and rim is insanity. Insanity.

You could get 4 aftermarket rims and 1 replacement tire for around $700 for this cars size of tire.

There is no reason for ONE rim and tire package on a compact domestic entry-level car to cost that much, and I'm sure another dealer or an ford parts supplier could get it for a proper price, like 125 - 180 for the tire and 50 (wrecker) to 285 for the rim.

$700 is 3.5% of the MSRP purchase price of the car... :rolleyes:

justalayman

700 for a tire and rim is insanity. Insanity.
:
apparently there are some rims that are quite expensive available on a fusion. Here is an ebay page with one with a buy it now price of $748.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/17-Ford-Fusion-Chrome-Factory-OEM-Wheels-Rims-EXCHANGE-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dSIQ26itsQ3dIQ26ituQ3dUCIQ252BUAQ252BFICSQ26otnQ3d20Q26pmodQ3d150418151419Q26psQ3d54QQ_trksidZp3284Q2em263QQitemZ110693273602#ht_5940wt_1050

and that's without a tire.

OHRoadwarrior

xylene is correct about the possibility of getting it aftermarket. I posted under the assumption OP had car at dealer and was not accustomed to handling repairs themselves. OP needs to make sure the rim matches all others and will want matching tire/tread pattern also. Otherwise it will look tacky. If wholesale prices are obtained, it will be comparable to aftermarket salvage price.

xylene

True no tires -

apparently there are some rims that are quite expensive available on a fusion. Here is an ebay page with one with a buy it now price of $748.

17" Ford Fusion Chrome Factory OEM Wheels Rims EXCHANGE | eBay

and that's without a tire.
But that is for 4 oem rims with custom aftermarket chrome - 187 each (+275 deposit per rim for exchange - only got 3...) Assuming he's got 17s this OP could bling his rims for ~1023 + ~150new tire. Thats not bad.

I have to admit my first figures were based on the standard model rims and tires. Specialty 17 or 18 the $700 is only slight less scandalous, but still terrible and the OP deserves better.

justalayman

I have to admit my first figures were based on the standard model rims and tires. Specialty 17 or 18 the $700 is only slight less scandalous, but still terrible and the OP deserves better.
Sorry about that.

Here is a single rim, OEM, used, for $400.

17" Ford Fusion 2010 - 2011 Chrome Factory Wheels | eBay

here are some more. The chrome wheels start at $290 (16" wheel) and the non-chrome about $190.

FORD OEM RIMS FORD FACTORY WHEELS STOCK RIM CHROME REPLICA WHEEL USED RIMS FORD Wheels FORD OEM RIMS FORD FACTORY WHEELS STOCK RIM CHROME REPLICA WHEEL USED RIMS FORD Rims

OEM wheels are often very expensive. Why? I don't really know since they are produced in larger quantities than a typical after market rim but they are what they are.

So, depending on what wheel the OP has, the price may not be so improbable. (I hesitate to say overpriced because I agree that a rim and tire is simply not worth $700)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">