• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Truck Buyer - whoops you forgot to pay for registration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

Vickster

Bought a 99 Ford F-250 from a dealership. Upon initiation of contract, we questioned the current registration, and that it was due at the end of the month we purchased the truck. We were advised verbally that this was handled and the registration was taken care of already. We signed the disclosure advising that estimated registration may come in at a higher price that estimated. We were advise verbally that this was not applicable to our purchase since the registration has been paid. 3 days after purchasing our vehicle the contract salesman called our home to advise us he made a mistake on our registation advise and we needed to either bring in our current contract to be re-written with the addt'l registration applied so that we can pay along with our payments or bring in a check to cover the difference. This is a substantial difference from $54.00 for transfer fees to $605.00 needed additionally. This man was sorry he had to do this. His reply to my statement "When we inquired about the registration, You said this was handled" (not once, but twice we inquired about this prior to signing the contract and his answer was "No problem, it's handled". Where do we stand with this problem? I feel they made a mistake on an assumption and did not confirm until 3 days later. I feel that this mis-representation should nullify the signed disclosure of estimated registration fees. We have received our registration tags, as the dealership paid these fees as the contract states. Is this legal? Do I have any rights with regards to this fast one they have seemed to pull? Please advise at your earliest convenience. Thanking you in advance for your assistance.

Best regards
Vicky

JETX

I would write the dealership a letter and detail what you said here. Advise them that your purchased the vehicle in accordance with your sales contract. The title and registration are in your name. The fact that they screwed up on their end, is not your fault. I would not pay any additional fees, and certainly not voluntarily!!!

They will decide to either pursue legal action against you (unlikely considering the amount and the dispute) or decide to 'eat' their loss (more likely). If they decide to pursue legal action, post your new question to this forum at that time (or obtain competent legal counsel).

------------------
Steve Halket
Judgment Recovery of Houston
[email protected]
-----------------------
This is my PERSONAL OPINION and is not legal advice! Consult your local attorney for your specific situation and laws!

V

Vickster

Thanking you so very kindly. I am pleased that my thoughts on this matter are not out of line. I will write the letter to our dealership stating the concerns with the handling of our contract and sales and see where it goes. Let me say "Muchos Gracias" I will let you know what happens if you like.

Checking back later for additional replies. Have a great day!

The Vickster

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">