• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New wife son

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pepsi6534

What is the name of your state?AZ
My ex new wife has 18 year old son that just moved in with them he was arrested for drugs last week. Do I have any ground to keep out 7year old from going to his visitations when he is there

LdiJ

Not sure just found his arrest mug shot on line
So, you do not know if he is actually dangerous to anyone at all? All you know is that he got arrested for having an illegal drug on him? You do realize that most 18 year olds who have experimented with drugs are NOT dangerous to anyone?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Unless and until you have proof that your son is being endangered, then no, your fears will be considered to be unfounded.

As Dad apparently makes a habit of exercising his parenting time, the reasonable assumption on your part should be that Dad would not knowingly endanger the welfare of his son.

You are free to mention your concerns to Dad. Dad might agree with you, or Dad might offer details that will reassure you that the stepson is not a danger to your 7 year old son..

adjusterjack

What is the name of your state?AZ
My ex new wife has 18 year old son that just moved in with them he was arrested for drugs last week. Do I have any ground to keep out 7year old from going to his visitations when he is there
Maybe not "legal" grounds but if your 7 years old was running out in front of a truck you would pull him/her back, right?

You have grounds to go back to court and seek an emergency modification of visitation. You address this now before things get a lot worse. And, of course, you have the option of keeping the child home and asking forgiveness of the court later.

I disagree with the poo-pooing of the other responses. An adult in the household that was arrested for drugs is a scary and serious situation to expose a 7 year old to. Druggies are dangerous. I had a young drug addict in my family. It was very bad.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Maybe not "legal" grounds but if your 7 years old was running out in front of a truck you would pull him/her back, right?

You have grounds to go back to court and seek an emergency modification of visitation. You address this now before things get a lot worse. And, of course, you have the option of keeping the child home and asking forgiveness of the court later.

I disagree with the poo-pooing of the other responses. An adult in the household that was arrested for drugs is a scary and serious situation to expose a 7 year old to. Druggies are dangerous. I had a young drug addict in my family. It was very bad.
I'll ask again...did I miss a conviction somewhere in here...???

There is no "emergency" on which an "emergency" modification would be issued. In fact, there's a strong possibility that such a motion wouldn't even be considered.

LdiJ

For all we know this kid just got caught with some weed. We have no idea what the drug was (and neither does the OP).
Therefore we have no idea whether its even remotely dangerous or not. I doubt that there are many people who have not at least had some peripheral contact with a friend or family member who had a drug addict in the family. We all know that it can be bad. However, I also bet that you have met a large number of young people who have smoked some weed here and there who are model citizens otherwise.

Zigner

From what I understand, smoking a bit of weed doesn't even preclude one from being the President.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess

This is dangerous advice, and I'm surprised it came from you AJ.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I'll ask again...did I miss a conviction somewhere in here...???

There is no "emergency" on which an "emergency" modification would be issued. In fact, there's a strong possibility that such a motion wouldn't even be considered.
I haven't seen anything but an arrest for an unspecified drug related crime. So not only has there been no conviction, there is no indication of what kind of crime was alleged - felony or misdemeanor, dealing or possession.

Why does OP assume that Dad won't protect his own child, if the situation warrants it?

Zigner

Heck, the OP doesn't even know if this was just the matter of kid being stupid...like driving his buddy to the store and not knowing his buddy tossed his drugs under the driver's seat when the car was pulled over.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">