• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New wife son

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adjusterjack

This is dangerous advice, and I'm surprised it came from you AJ.
Nothing dangerous about it.

Let's talk reality instead of "legal" theory.

So she withholds visitation a couple of times while the 18 year old's drug charges and living arrangements are being sorted out. Or insists that the Dad visit the kid at her house.

I can't imagine a judge punishing her for doing that. More likely a "Don't do it again."

LdiJ

Nothing dangerous about it.

Let's talk reality instead of "legal" theory.

So she withholds visitation a couple of times while the 18 year old's drug charges and living arrangements are being sorted out. Or insists that the Dad visit the kid at her house.

I can't imagine a judge punishing her for doing that. More likely a "Don't do it again."
I have seen judges just give a scolding or a small fine for things like that. I have also seen judge put the hammer down on a parent for doing things like that. You never know what is going to happen unless you are an attorney who knows how that particular judge tends to rule.

adjusterjack

That is because you are making the assumption that an 18 year old who got arrested for "drugs" is a dangerous junkie.
That's exactly what I am assuming.

Where there is smoke there is fire.

I would err on the side of caution.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

I can probably come up with a few more appropriate adages if you like.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Your assumptions, etc., can yield bad results for the OP. I get what you're saying, but it's unwise to make recommendations such as you have, particularly when they go directly against a court order.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer

It would be erring on the side of caution for Mom to contact Dad and express her concerns about the stepson.

Dad might actually agree with Mom, in which case they can work together on an acceptable plan and avoid court.

And if they don't agree, and Dad confirms any of Mom's worst fears about the stepson being a potential danger to their son, she will appear less unreasonable, should she deny parenting time and Dad takes her to court.

Pepsi6534

Well the new wife has another son that’s in prison for murder. So II should have concerns about my son welfare.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Well the new wife has another son that’s in prison for murder. So II should have concerns about my son welfare.
While the convicted murderer is in prison, he poses no credible threat to your child.

And what did Dad say, when you raised your concerns?

Look, I get that you don't like Dad, or his current taste in women, but you are shooting yourself in the foot if you are violating the court order.

It has been almost a month, and when you come back to update, this is what you come back with? Nothing about you going to court, or talking to Dad, or anything in between.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">