• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New York Speedy Trial Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Litigator22

All this is a little over my head and confusing but thanks for the links. It is all interesting at the very least.

Here are the facts I DO KNOW
Person got taken into custody back in March. That started a 3-month investigation.
Then they got arrested in early June on 2 felonies and 1 misdemeanor

They got arraigned on June 27.
The DA never brought the case to Grand Jury. Still hasn't. Sounds to me like the clock started on June 27 and ran out 6 months later.
No grand jury, no indictment, no plea deal. Nothing. My interpretation of the SPEEDY TRIAL rule is that the DA has 6 months to take the case to get an indictment in a grand jury. That never happened. Seem like they just forgot about it or thought it wasnt important
Ignorance of unfamiliar subject matter is understandable. Refusal to acknowledged one's ignorance and yet persist in broadcasting it to the detriment of others it is arrogant stupidity!

Contrary to your unduly pomposity criminal arraignments NEVER PRECEDE THE FILLING OF FORMAL CRIMINAL CHARGES!

Your persistence in claiming that it can occur in advance of an indictment defies the essential purposes of the proceeding. That purpose being to inform the accused of the nature of the charges as filed and to provide an opportunity to respond to them. ALL in compliance with the 6th Amendment to the United States Constitution. A document you might trouble to read for the first time!

I won't bother to ask that you attempt to explain when your self-perceived period of 6 months is to commence. Meaning the 180 days within which you claim the DA is required seek an indictment. Nor should your theory be true, what results if it is not met?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">