• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Newspaper thrown into yard against my wishes.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

izzie02

Try sending a written letter.
I had to do this after numerous phone calls asking them to stop. The letter was accompanied with a picture of my snowblower clogged/jammed up with a news paper that was under the snow on my driveway, where they always delivered it, couldn't see it under the snow. I had to bring blower into shop to get it unclogged. Told them they would get the bill next time.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If that still doesn't work, then follow through and sue.
What are the damages? If injunctive relief is sought, it seems to me that the costs involved would far outweigh the minor inconvenience of simply tossing the paper in the trash/recycling.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The letter was accompanied with a picture of my snowblower clogged/jammed up with a news paper that was under the snow on my driveway, where they always delivered it, couldn't see it under the snow.
So it was delivered in the middle of the night, prior to enough of a snow dump to cover the paper?

FlyingRon

I was never able to get it to stop. The consolation was that I passed the newspaper office on the way to work, so I'd pick their soggy paper out of my driveway on the way out and chuck it back at their building when I went by.

adjusterjack

So it is trespass not litter that I need to address. I will have to find an attorney then.
How much is it worth to you to get your injunction? You have no monetary damages so you aren't likely to get a lawyer on contingency. You'll have to pay him up front. I'll bet Tillman spent tens of thousands of dollars to get his appellate decision in his favor. You ready to spend that much on what might be a Pyrrhic victory?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
How much is it worth to you to get your injunction? You have no monetary damages so you aren't likely to get a lawyer on contingency. You'll have to pay him up front. I'll bet Tillman spent tens of thousands of dollars to get his appellate decision in his favor. You ready to spend that much on what might be a Pyrrhic victory?
OMG, Jack. Do you have any idea how sexy it is when a guy can use Pyrrhic victory correctly? *swoon*

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
What are the damages?
There may be no money damages. That would depend on the particular facts of what is going on.

If injunctive relief is sought, it seems to me that the costs involved would far outweigh the minor inconvenience of simply tossing the paper in the trash/recycling.
That's your call to make. While most probably would make that same decision, others may be irritated enough by it to sue. After all, we know someone in NY was irritated enough to do sue over as there is a reported appellate court decision on the matter. ;)

I might do it, too, if I were in that boat, but then I'm a lawyer and would have no hesitation doing this myself so I'd not incur any legal fees.

izzie02

So it was delivered in the middle of the night, prior to enough of a snow dump to cover the paper?
Yes, in Minnesota can get 6-12 inches that covers the paper. Would usually see it but not always. When delivered overnight during storm they sometimes stuck to driveway so had to stop, get tool to pry off. Once got sucked up by the auger of snowblower and jammed it up during a blizzard.

FYI, the papers a delivered free once a week or so to entice you to sign up for daily local Tribune delivery.

Last edited:

Mass_Shyster

Call the police and report the illegal dumping every time it happens. Surveillance video will help, especially if it can pick up the license plate number.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Yes, in Minnesota can get 6-12 inches that covers the paper. Would usually see it but not always. Delivered overnight during storm. Sometimes stuck to driveway so had to stop, get tool to pry off. Once got sucked up by auger and jammed it up during a blizzard.
I suspect not an issue in most of TX.

I used to live in Syracuse NY, where we would routinely get 12 in+ overnight. Never had a problem wrt delivered papers...

Could it be as simple as asking the person who actually delivers your papers to stop. Explain that you have cancelled your subscription and he doesn't need to deliver to you any more. This means he can finish his delivery round quicker and be home earlier.;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">