• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Next of Kin

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

meshack

TX

A relative of mine recently died and his lawyer cant find the next of kin to him. He says that since he cannot find anybody and nobody has come forward for some time now that he can empower me as the next of kin to inherit his money. He gets a small percentage of this so hes wanting to work quickly. He has sent me his personal identification as well as a document from the court saying they approve me as the next of kin. The bank sending the transfer is not approved by the FSA but he assures me its perfectly fine. He is wanting to fly down to see me to complete the transaction and work out his percentage. This all seems a little too easy, i would bet that I am not the next of kin, but I would not know this because I do not know anything about my mothers real father and his family except that he died of an early age. Please give me some guidance on how to handle this, I do not have the money to hire anybody to help me with this if the deal falls through. And is it legal to secure me as the next of kin even if I am not???

BelizeBreeze

meshack said:
TX

A relative of mine recently died and his lawyer cant find the next of kin to him. He says that since he cannot find anybody and nobody has come forward for some time now that he can empower me as the next of kin to inherit his money. He gets a small percentage of this so hes wanting to work quickly. He has sent me his personal identification as well as a document from the court saying they approve me as the next of kin. The bank sending the transfer is not approved by the FSA but he assures me its perfectly fine. He is wanting to fly down to see me to complete the transaction and work out his percentage. This all seems a little too easy, i would bet that I am not the next of kin, but I would not know this because I do not know anything about my mothers real father and his family except that he died of an early age. Please give me some guidance on how to handle this, I do not have the money to hire anybody to help me with this if the deal falls through. And is it legal to secure me as the next of kin even if I am not???
Tell this guy that before he gets on the plane he should go to the post office and mail you a copy of the probate file.
I don't think you'll hear from him again.

Dandy Don

What is your relationship to the decedent?

Technically he is supposed to hire a genealogist to do the research for next of kin, but I guess he's a bit cheap. If you will send me the name of the decedent and date of death and city/state where he died, I can do the research for you (I also do genealogy).

It's okay to pay you if you are the only surviving next of kin, but there may be other relatives existing who could also qualify as heirs, so if they are found you will have to split the money with them or not (if they are more closely related to him than you were, then they get the money), but if they are more distantly related than you, then you get priority status as an heir.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">