• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nextdoor construction resulted in damage to my property.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DelightfulDame

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Last year construction (single family residence) began on the lot next to mine. The property owner is also the general contractor. During construction (14 months and still counting) significant damage has been done to my property: fence destroyed, foundation damage, improper sloping results in rain water runoff that erodes the soil and creates mud puddles in my backyard. It's a big ol' mess and the house is only partially built. It will be several more months before it's completed.

During the past 14 months I have contacted the city and the property owner. The city has addressed building code issues only and ignores my complaint about property damage. The building owner promises to "make things right" but it's been over a year and the foundation damage is worsening, the fence hasn't been replaced, and I haven't had full access to my backyard. If I could attach a picture you'd be shocked at the extent of the damage.

Here are my questions: Do I have any leverage over city council & city planning departments? So far they have shrugged their collective shoulders and evaded direct questions on the property damage and failure to repair it. I realize each city government is different but not that different, in my opinion.

Second question: Contacting an attorney is my last resort. Sorry, I know it's how you make a living but I don't like shaking an attorney stick at someone unless it's absolutely necessary. What leverage can I bring to bear upon my neighbor who is acting as her own general contractor?

If this is outside your bailiwick, then can you provide suggestions on who I can contact?

Thank you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? Michigan

Last year construction (single family residence) began on the lot next to mine. The property owner is also the general contractor. During construction (14 months and still counting) significant damage has been done to my property: fence destroyed, foundation damage, improper sloping results in rain water runoff that erodes the soil and creates mud puddles in my backyard. It's a big ol' mess and the house is only partially built. It will be several more months before it's completed.

During the past 14 months I have contacted the city and the property owner. The city has addressed building code issues only and ignores my complaint about property damage. The building owner promises to "make things right" but it's been over a year and the foundation damage is worsening, the fence hasn't been replaced, and I haven't had full access to my backyard. If I could attach a picture you'd be shocked at the extent of the damage.

Here are my questions: Do I have any leverage over city council & city planning departments? So far they have shrugged their collective shoulders and evaded direct questions on the property damage and failure to repair it. I realize each city government is different but not that different, in my opinion.

Second question: Contacting an attorney is my last resort. Sorry, I know it's how you make a living but I don't like shaking an attorney stick at someone unless it's absolutely necessary. What leverage can I bring to bear upon my neighbor who is acting as her own general contractor?

If this is outside your bailiwick, then can you provide suggestions on who I can contact?

Thank you.
The damages being caused are a civil matter and aren't the responsibility of the city. I think the "absolutely necessary" time has come...hire an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">