• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ 38mph in a 22mph?? Court in 2 days, advice please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gooddriver321

I received a speeding ticket that states I was going 38mph in a 22mph zone. This is in Middlesex County, NJ. This is considered a 4 point ticket since it was 16mph over the limit. However, the actual speed limit on this road is 25mph which would make it a 2 point ticket. I have pleaded not guilty and have a court date on wednesday this week. Can I argue that the speed limit on the ticket is wrong and get the ticket dismissed? I have not hired a lawyer and will be defending myself.

The cop also pulled came onto the road and approached my vehicle to pull me over right after I changed lanes. The cop would not have seen me if I had stayed in the left lane because there was a car in front of me and the cop was much further ahead on the road. Therefore, I feel that the cop would not of been able to clock my speed with enough time to determine if I was speeding. I also began slowing down immediately after I entered the right lane because I saw there was traffic ahead. In addition, this is a school zone road that has 25mph during school and 45mph when no children are present. I take the road every day to goto work and the flow of traffic is always 35-45mph. Since this incident occured I have been going 25mph on the road and every car passes me on the road.

My record is not perfect and I have gotten a speeding ticket over 10 years ago and a few minor traffic violations like improper lane change in the last 2 years. Any tips and advice on how to defend this is greatly appreciated.

FlyingRon

A 22 MPH speed limit would certainly be odd indeed. You can certainly argue that point (it may be that the officer estimated the safe speed to be such a number, but such would be arguable as well). NJ courts are usually pretty liberal with plea reductions so, pleading to the correct charge will almost certainly be accepted.

You also make a good point. The NJ law requires the children to be visibly present in order to enforce the school zone reduction.

As for the lane changing things, that's a red herring. Measuring speed takes very little time and even if you were in a pack of speeders, he's not obliged to clock you individually (nor pull over all the cars that were speeding).

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Maybe he wrote "25" and it was just a bit of sloppy handwriting. That happens often.
That would be my guess - I'm in NJ (I know) and have NEVER seen a 22 limit. 15 (some schools & senior communities) or 25. Nothing in between.

quincy

I'm not sure what Jalopnik is or how reliable their "news" is. I've seen silly signs like that on private property (probably posted as a joke - they're unenforceable anyway) but never on any public highways.

Sounds like the Copake sign might be one of those:

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM1NXJ_Cove_Road_Speed_Limit_10_1_2_MPH
There is a 31 mph limit in Tennessee that is legitimate. It is 31 to attract attention to the speed, as 30 mph limits are commonly ignored.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">