• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ driver:Following too closely in NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

auditeetee

:confused: What is the name of your state? NJ
I have a NJ Drivers Liscense
I recieved a ticket for -following too closely- in NY.

My question is would this violation be reported to the NJ DMV and subsequently to my insurance company?
I've read many of the stories on this site and it seems like there are mixed responses to this question because of the following:

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/cit_violations/d_vp_pnf.html

Interstate Compacts

New Jersey belongs to two Interstate Compacts. Member states exchange information to ensure driver compliance with the law and that they receive penalties for violations.
The Nonresident Violator Compact
· includes 44 states* and the District of Columbia,
· assures nonresident motorists the same rights and privileges as resident motorists,
· requires drivers to fulfill the terms of traffic citations received in member states or face the possibility of license suspension in their home state,
· provides that nonresident drivers have due process protection and cannot be detained out -of -state.
*Alaska, California, Michigan, Montana, Oregon and Wisconsin are not members.
Note: The compact does not apply to parking or standing violations, highway weight limit violations, and violations of Hazmat transportation laws.

BUT the NY DMV states:
" The NYSDMV does not record out-of-state violations committed by NYS drivers in other jurisdictions".

so i dont know what to do
could someone please help me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">