• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ Income Tax Return For Wage Less Than 10,000

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nichka

What is the name of your state? NJ
I'm a part time resident of NJ, since I moved from NY here in June last year (so that's 7 months)
My gross income is less than required 10,000 by state of NJ.
So my question is:
Do I NEED to file for NJ or just for the state I earned an income (NY)?
1.will i get a refund if I file the NJ-1040 form?
2. and can i file it at all with my conditions?

I was thoroughly reading the law of taxation in NJ but want to make sure I correctly understand their legal expressions, because sometimes they use such a complicated manner...
so that's what they say about part-year residents
Quote:
"No New Jersey income tax is due if the income you received during the entire year was $20,000 or less ($10,000 or less if filing status is single or married/CU partner, filing separate return). If your gross income was $20,000 or less ($10,000 or less if filing status is single or married/CU partner, filing separate return), enclose a copy of your Federal income tax return when you file your part-year New Jersey return. If you did not file a Federal return, enclose a statement with your New Jersey return certifying that your income for the entire year was $20,000 or less ($10,000 or less if filing status is single or married/CU partner, filing separate return)."

From what i understand, I don't have to file taxes, since i don't owe any to the state of NJ, but in case i want to receive a refund, i can file and get it... Did I get it right?

Thank you
I'm new in NJ, so will need your help with that. Does anybody know the truth?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? NJ
I'm a part time resident of NJ, since I moved from NY here in June last year (so that's 7 months)
My gross income is less than required 10,000 by state of NJ.
So my question is:
Do I NEED to file for NJ or just for the state I earned an income (NY)?
1.will i get a refund if I file the NJ-1040 form?
2. and can i file it at all with my conditions?

I was thoroughly reading the law of taxation in NJ but want to make sure I correctly understand their legal expressions, because sometimes they use such a complicated manner...
so that's what they say about part-year residents
Quote:
"No New Jersey income tax is due if the income you received during the entire year was $20,000 or less ($10,000 or less if filing status is single or married/CU partner, filing separate return). If your gross income was $20,000 or less ($10,000 or less if filing status is single or married/CU partner, filing separate return), enclose a copy of your Federal income tax return when you file your part-year New Jersey return. If you did not file a Federal return, enclose a statement with your New Jersey return certifying that your income for the entire year was $20,000 or less ($10,000 or less if filing status is single or married/CU partner, filing separate return)."

From what i understand, I don't have to file taxes, since i don't owe any to the state of NJ, but in case i want to receive a refund, i can file and get it... Did I get it right?

Thank you
I'm new in NJ, so will need your help with that. Does anybody know the truth?
The answer is the same as the last answer you got on the other forum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">